My photos changed its date

Ok Is there an automator script or similar bash script to fix my library?

I think there is a bug....

The other day all my photos were perfect and today I looked and everything was out of order.

all my albums were empty and when I went to some of my photos were bunched up in weird dates...mainly oct 2-5 2021-2023, dec 2, 2021, feb 2, 2022 some are in 2245, 2026, 2025 (time travel photos)

my library is now a mess.

I have tried changing one by one, but these are THOUSANDS of photos. So can someone help me write a script to change them back? They do show the original date for the most part. Some the creation date is wrong but these are the least of them.

all my beautiful vacation photos with my daughter are all over the place.

when I try to change them all at once by pressing REVERT TO ORIGINAL they do not change.

When I try to IMAGE>set date and time> Some change and others go time traveling...(I know I make it funny to keep from crying)

Please can one of you brains in programming help me create a bash or automator script to fix this nonsense. I want to script it to change individually each photo to the right creation date. I am pretty good on terminal but I suck at actually writing script that works. Hoping someone already ran into this issue and made something and I just cant find it on google.

Crossing fingers.

Thank you for your time and attention.

One thing: my photos are in a shared library with myself. (no idea if this has something to do with it.)

One other thing: Originally this started a few months ago when I was trying to organize a set of photos from the 1800's I had scanned and I changed a ton of photos to 1800's..ever since then, my library is a mess.

[Re-titled by Moderator]

MacBook Pro 13″

Posted on Oct 8, 2023 4:44 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 9, 2023 1:31 AM

Most photos in my shared iCloud Library changed the dates too, but only the timezone assigned to the photos has changed. This has been my main reason to stop using the Shared iCloud Photos Library.

The dates can also change, when you share photos with yourself from two libraries, and there are duplicates with inconsistent dates. When you merge a bunch of duplicates automatically without checking the dates, Photos might pick the photos with the wrong date as the keeper.

But your time travel pictures are suspicious. Dates in the future might be created for two reasons:

1. Either your system time may have been set to a wrong calendar in the "System Settings > Language & Region > Calendar" in one of your accounts using the Shared Library - check if the Calendar is consistent and correct for all your accounts.
  2. Or you may have accidentally selected more photos than you intended, when you fixed the date for a photo. The problem is, that "Adjust Date & Time is not batch changing all selected photos to the same date and time, but shifting the date and time of all selected photos by the same offset. Thus we can easily move some photos to the future, if we include a photo in the selection, that does not need the date to be corrected.

It will be difficult to fix the wrong dates by a script, if there is no systematic change that can be fixed automatically. It will probably be easier to restore your Photos Library from the last backup you made, when the dates have been correct. But you would need a full backup of your library from a version that did not use "Optimize Mac Storage" for iCloud Photos, because iCloud Photos needs to be empty, when you restore the library from the backup, or the wrong dates will persist.

Similar questions

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 9, 2023 1:31 AM in response to The_Muse

Most photos in my shared iCloud Library changed the dates too, but only the timezone assigned to the photos has changed. This has been my main reason to stop using the Shared iCloud Photos Library.

The dates can also change, when you share photos with yourself from two libraries, and there are duplicates with inconsistent dates. When you merge a bunch of duplicates automatically without checking the dates, Photos might pick the photos with the wrong date as the keeper.

But your time travel pictures are suspicious. Dates in the future might be created for two reasons:

1. Either your system time may have been set to a wrong calendar in the "System Settings > Language & Region > Calendar" in one of your accounts using the Shared Library - check if the Calendar is consistent and correct for all your accounts.
  2. Or you may have accidentally selected more photos than you intended, when you fixed the date for a photo. The problem is, that "Adjust Date & Time is not batch changing all selected photos to the same date and time, but shifting the date and time of all selected photos by the same offset. Thus we can easily move some photos to the future, if we include a photo in the selection, that does not need the date to be corrected.

It will be difficult to fix the wrong dates by a script, if there is no systematic change that can be fixed automatically. It will probably be easier to restore your Photos Library from the last backup you made, when the dates have been correct. But you would need a full backup of your library from a version that did not use "Optimize Mac Storage" for iCloud Photos, because iCloud Photos needs to be empty, when you restore the library from the backup, or the wrong dates will persist.

Oct 9, 2023 4:03 PM in response to léonie

What you said is a thing I also thought of the other day. Merging can create incorrect dates when sharing libraries. I supposed this mess is gonna have to be reported to devs as a bug. Not sure how they will find a way around it. Maybe asking for each photo? But seems tedious as well. That’s probably what happened. Thank you so much for your reply. I will take this advice. I want to leave this open for a bit and see if anyone has a script.

but I feel like you gave me some great advice and you are the person that solved it.

thanks again.

Oct 9, 2023 10:59 PM in response to The_Muse

I rarely let Photos merge the duplicates automatically. I like the Duplicates album as a place, where I can find potential duplicates, but I always compare the suggested duplicates myself - frequently they are duplicates I have created intentionally and want to keep, for example, differently cropped or edited versions of the same photo. And Photos cannot know, which of the metadata are correct, if the two duplicates are having different titles, different keywords, or different dates, or different locations. I prefer to check the duplicates myself for inconsistent metadata and fix them, before I merge the duplicates.

My photos changed its date

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.