Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

How to detect the iPhone has infected by virus

I clicked a Facebook post. When clicked it, it pop-up a message that my phone has infected by Trojan virus and it has infected to 17% of phone memory. It says to avoid this download the app. It suggested a remove virus click button. Once I clicked it, it shows an app it calls “Google” or something. But I didn’t download it. I just want to know whether my phone has exactly infected by virus and is there any way to get rid of this.

Phone model is 14 pro max.

iPhone 14 Pro Max, iOS 16

Posted on Oct 8, 2023 7:56 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 8, 2023 9:10 PM

Scams mostly target people these days. Us. Not our iPhones. This scam certainly did. It didn’t target your iPhone. It targeted you, lied to you, and lied about the existence of malware.

Your iPhone is fine.

We’re all unfortunately swimming in advertising, scams, campaigns, propaganda, and the rest of the rubbish, and there’s no shortage of that on Facebook.

Recognize and avoid phishing messages, phony support calls, and other scams - Apple Support

Can an iPhone be exploited? Yes. It’s been very rare, and very targeted, based on all available information. It doesn’t pop up “Trojan virus” messages, and the exploits don’t—as was probably the case here—seek to convince you to install some app store app you don't need for a problem you don’t have, and that hasn’t existed in a decade or so. If you’re an investigative journalist, political dissident, with access to financial info or great wealth, with access to sensitive or classified data, senior in government or private organization, or such, the calculations of your risk here might shift. But that won’t show as a “trojan virus”.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 8, 2023 9:10 PM in response to chalani194

Scams mostly target people these days. Us. Not our iPhones. This scam certainly did. It didn’t target your iPhone. It targeted you, lied to you, and lied about the existence of malware.

Your iPhone is fine.

We’re all unfortunately swimming in advertising, scams, campaigns, propaganda, and the rest of the rubbish, and there’s no shortage of that on Facebook.

Recognize and avoid phishing messages, phony support calls, and other scams - Apple Support

Can an iPhone be exploited? Yes. It’s been very rare, and very targeted, based on all available information. It doesn’t pop up “Trojan virus” messages, and the exploits don’t—as was probably the case here—seek to convince you to install some app store app you don't need for a problem you don’t have, and that hasn’t existed in a decade or so. If you’re an investigative journalist, political dissident, with access to financial info or great wealth, with access to sensitive or classified data, senior in government or private organization, or such, the calculations of your risk here might shift. But that won’t show as a “trojan virus”.

Oct 8, 2023 8:49 PM in response to chalani194

Is very unlikely that your phone is infected by virus. Facebook is notorious for being a playground for uploaders of fake alerts that trive on people unaware of the capabilities and safetiness of they're devices. What you see is just a popup from the site and regardless of the device you use to click on such posts they will lead to the same outcome being that of the attempt to collect some money with the promise of fixing your perfectly good device.

How to detect the iPhone has infected by virus

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.