Black screen / restart after launching normal apps

I keep having this issue continuously,

My mac does not start immediately, this is the process and what happens afterwards

1) Turn on

2) Immediately press ctrl+al+R+P

3) Black screen

4) I hear the chimes several times (at least 7 or 8 times)

5) After many chimes the screen color appear (dark blue) and I see the apple.

6) Everything is ok, I can use safari or launch Imail, ...etc

Once I want to launch something that might need graphics (this is my analysis) such as :

• Including signature or image in a PDF using acrobat
  • Working with word/powerpoint
  • Using music software (DAW, plugins, ...)

Immediately, the screen turns black, I hear the chimes, there is the keyboard light.

When I try to push any button I hear kind of an error sound.

So I have to turn it off, normally or by resetting the battery and try again a bit later.

I really do not know what to do, the apple shop I went suggested me that the best way is to buy a new mac book and they will recover all my data to the new one.

I was planning to buy a new one but not exactly now, probably next year, until then I really can not stay like that.

I have a backup of course, and I am working with another computer (pc) but I really want to solve this issue.

Any advice is welcome.

Thanks in advance

MacBook Pro 15″

Posted on Oct 8, 2023 10:25 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 9, 2023 5:07 AM

If your Mac starts up to a blank screen - Apple Support

This is Apple's definitive solution.

Note the last line and link to contact Apple Support.

Similar questions

2 replies

Oct 9, 2023 12:35 AM in response to TheTarek

Try reinstalling macOS. You can do this from recovery mode (hold command+r on startup for Intel. Continue holding power button for M-series Apple Silicon). Make sure to have an up to date backup in case something goes wrong. If that doesn’t work, you could erase the MacBook and set it up as a new device but that would delete all data.

Black screen / restart after launching normal apps

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.