MacBook Pro Not Working After Update

I recently installed a software update through Settings on my MacBook Pro (2) 13” (macOS 10.15.6), but when I tried to open my computer the next day, the screen still showed an apple logo and loading bar. After a few hours, the bar hadn’t moved, so I restarted the computer. It allowed me to sign into my computer and, once I entered my password, a loading bar appeared under my profile icon; however before the loading bar could finish, my screen glitched blue/green and returned to the black screen with the apple logo and loading bar, and the bar would not continue past the same point as before. This has been going on for days. I looked on Apple Support and tried all of the steps to fix this issue— I restarted my computer, I went to MacOs Recovery and did First Aid in Disk Utility for all of the volumes, containers, and disks. I even reinstalled MacOs since everything is backed up on my OneDrive and iCloud, but I still get the same issue. I shut my computer off and let it sit for a couple of days… still no improvement. I’m not sure how to fix this issue.

I am a senior in college on my second week of classes and need my laptop for schoolwork/research. Is there any way to salvage this laptop?

Posted on Aug 22, 2023 2:23 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 22, 2023 4:55 PM

KatelynD23 wrote:

I recently installed a software update through Settings on my MacBook Pro (2) 13” (macOS 10.15.6), but when I tried to open my computer the next day, the screen still showed an apple logo and loading bar. After a few hours, the bar hadn’t moved, so I restarted the computer. It allowed me to sign into my computer and, once I entered my password, a loading bar appeared under my profile icon; however before the loading bar could finish, my screen glitched blue/green and returned to the black screen with the apple logo and loading bar, and the bar would not continue past the same point as before. This has been going on for days. I looked on Apple Support and tried all of the steps to fix this issue— I restarted my computer, I went to MacOs Recovery and did First Aid in Disk Utility for all of the volumes, containers, and disks.

I even reinstalled MacOs since everything is backed up on my OneDrive and iCloud, but I still get the same issue.

I shut my computer off and let it sit for a couple of days… still no improvement. I’m not sure how to fix this issue.

ref: If your Mac starts up to an Apple logo or progress bar

If your Mac starts up to an Apple logo or progress bar - Apple Support

In or out of warranty you can get a free over the counter 'Apple Service Diagnostics' test /assessment

Make an appointment for a "hardware issue"

Genius Bar Reservation and Apple Support Options - Apple

Outside the USA

Contact Apple for support and service - Apple Support

Call Customer Support (800) MY–APPLE (800–692–7753)

or on line https://getsupport.apple.com/

or call AppleCare Support at 1-800-APLCARE (800-275-2273)

Outside the USA—Contact Apple for support and service by phone

See a list of Apple phone numbers around the world.

Check your coverage

My Support - Official Apple Support

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 22, 2023 4:55 PM in response to KatelynD23

KatelynD23 wrote:

I recently installed a software update through Settings on my MacBook Pro (2) 13” (macOS 10.15.6), but when I tried to open my computer the next day, the screen still showed an apple logo and loading bar. After a few hours, the bar hadn’t moved, so I restarted the computer. It allowed me to sign into my computer and, once I entered my password, a loading bar appeared under my profile icon; however before the loading bar could finish, my screen glitched blue/green and returned to the black screen with the apple logo and loading bar, and the bar would not continue past the same point as before. This has been going on for days. I looked on Apple Support and tried all of the steps to fix this issue— I restarted my computer, I went to MacOs Recovery and did First Aid in Disk Utility for all of the volumes, containers, and disks.

I even reinstalled MacOs since everything is backed up on my OneDrive and iCloud, but I still get the same issue.

I shut my computer off and let it sit for a couple of days… still no improvement. I’m not sure how to fix this issue.

ref: If your Mac starts up to an Apple logo or progress bar

If your Mac starts up to an Apple logo or progress bar - Apple Support

In or out of warranty you can get a free over the counter 'Apple Service Diagnostics' test /assessment

Make an appointment for a "hardware issue"

Genius Bar Reservation and Apple Support Options - Apple

Outside the USA

Call Customer Support (800) MY–APPLE (800–692–7753)

or on line https://getsupport.apple.com/

or call AppleCare Support at 1-800-APLCARE (800-275-2273)

Outside the USA—Contact Apple for support and service by phone

See a list of Apple phone numbers around the world.

Check your coverage

My Support - Official Apple Support

Aug 22, 2023 5:25 PM in response to KatelynD23

Troubleshooting Mac Progress Bar:

A. Reset the SMC and your NVRAM:

(Applies to macOS-Installed Macs only). Sometimes when changes are made to the system(i.e. updates), system configurations (i.e. for keyboard) become manipulated, technically. So, reset the SMC and NVRAM.

B. Single-Out this User:

Have another user on your Mac? What happens when you login with a different user? And success? If not, then it it like an issue with the configurations of the current user. If so, then it is an issue of the macOS, in which case, you'd need to reinstall it.

C. Restore from a Backup:

Any recent Backups?: If you backed up your Mac prior to this occurrent, then, restore form it. Sometimes, an update can fail due to power issues, or losing connection to Apple's servers. So, know to always back up your Mac prior to making any major changes to it, successfully as au update. In doing so, you with have something to restore store your Mac from from, should anything go wrong with the upgrade.

D. Reinstalling the macOS:

Another option would be to reinstall the macOS. Perhaps an install was not 100% successful? Sometimes, when major changes are made to your Mac(i.e. update installations), system settings (i.e. for the fan) become manipulated, technically. So, when reinstalling, nothing would be deleted. It's just that items that have become corrupted or deleted, would be replaced or reinstalled back to where they should be. Go Here: How to Reinstall macOS from macOS Recovery - Apple Support

Important: Be certain you back up your Mac prior to the installation, as I mentioned in C.

MacBook Pro Not Working After Update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.