Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Pro 13-inch 2014

Ola,

anyone else have a 2014 MacBook Pro that has had issues rebooting after the most recent MacOS updates?

After 3 (maybe more; I wasn’t paying too much attention before that) of the last updates, my laptop failed to boot.

The first time I can recall it stalled on a blank screen. I rebooted by pressing and holding the power. It rebooted successfully at subsequent power on.

At the following upgrade the laptop ended up in the same state - black grey screen. However this time a hard reset just got it back to the same place. It was necessary to to a key combination to do a hardware reset. This caused the laptop to reboot and it seemed to work fine again.

After the most recent update I did, the laptop had the same symptoms. But this time it will only reboot once after invoking the key combination. It will boot to MacOS fine. If I restart from MacOS the laptop returns to the grey screen.

In the process of troubleshooting the issue I have completely scrubbed the install and reinstalled the most current MacOS (a week or two back now) - relying on my old windows Laptop and MBP is in its bag.

I have also run what I believe is all the included hardware and software diagnostics tool which all indicate the system is healthy.

Any ideas to resurrect my laptop?

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 11.4

Posted on Jul 5, 2021 4:13 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 6, 2021 5:16 AM

Hopefully my final post: It appears I have resolved the issue with my MBP.

I have created a new bootable flash drive containing the most current version of Big Sur.

I booted the MBP from the flash (hold option key at boot) and was able to erase the entire SSD from disk utility. From within disk utility I selected the SSD and then clicked erase. I created a new APFS partition with the default name "Macintosh HD". After exiting disk utility reinstalled Big Sur from flash.

Creating a bootable flash: How to create a bootable installer for macOS - Apple Support

Similar questions

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 6, 2021 5:16 AM in response to vernhs

Hopefully my final post: It appears I have resolved the issue with my MBP.

I have created a new bootable flash drive containing the most current version of Big Sur.

I booted the MBP from the flash (hold option key at boot) and was able to erase the entire SSD from disk utility. From within disk utility I selected the SSD and then clicked erase. I created a new APFS partition with the default name "Macintosh HD". After exiting disk utility reinstalled Big Sur from flash.

Creating a bootable flash: How to create a bootable installer for macOS - Apple Support

Jul 5, 2021 4:34 AM in response to vernhs

Go step by step and test.

1. Reset PRAM:  Reset NVRAM or PRAM on your Mac - Apple Support

Settings that can be stored in NVRAM include sound volume, display resolution, startup-disk selection, time zone, 

and recent kernel panic information. 

The settings stored in NVRAM  depend on your Mac and the devices that you're using with your Mac.

2. Reset  SMC:   How to reset the SMC of your Mac - Apple Support   Choose the appropriate method.

Quote:

Resetting the system management controller (SMC) can resolve certain issues related to power, battery, fans,

and other features.

3. Startup in Safe mode. https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT201262 Choose the appropriate method.

To leave Safe Mode, choose “Restart” at the bottom.

Quote:

Safe mode prevents your Mac from loading certain software when it starts up, including login items, 

system extensions not required by macOS,

and fonts not installed by macOS. It  also does a basic check of your startup disk, 

similar to using First Aid in Disk Utility

And it deletes some system caches, including font caches and the kernel cache, 

which will be created again automatically as needed.

4. If your Mac doesn't start up all the way

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204156

If steps posted above do not help,

Click inside the box to choose an option. contact Apple Support

https://getsupport.apple.com/?caller=kbase&PFC=PFC1003&category_id=SC0999&symptom_id=20225

Jul 6, 2021 2:12 AM in response to dominic23

I was not able to get my MPB to boot after various attempts. I resorted to reinstalling MacOS again using the internet recovery option. I have confirmed my previous symptoms persist this morning. It is still necessary to invoke NVRAM reset each time laptop is booted. I installed etrecheck this morning and ran the tests. I have the report. There doesn't appear to be anything obviously wrong to me.

Jul 5, 2021 4:45 AM in response to vernhs

Download EtreCheck: https://etrecheck.com/  and post the report here.

Click, “Free Download” button and then  “Click to download” button,

open Downloads folder, click on it to open, and then select ”Open”.

Choose a problem” from the popup menu box, and then “Start EtreCheck” in the dialog.

Click “Share Report” button in the toolbar and select “Copy report”.

Click the “Page” button in the toolbar at the bottom of this page and paste it when you reply.

Note: This is a diagnostic test. 

MacBook Pro 13-inch 2014

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.