How to change the Contact Photo WITHOUT changing the Contact Poster on the iPhone?

I always change the contact photos of my contacts so I can personalise my contacts. Now on iOS 17, first I have to change the contact poster from the default one and then I can change a contact's photo. I do not like this as it seems unnecessary and takes a lot longer than before.

1. If there is a way to change the contact poster back to the default (no contact poster) but maintain the changed contact photo, please send the necessary steps.
  2. If there is a way to maintain the default contact poster but use a modified contact photo without having to change the contact poster before changing the contact photo, advice on achieving this would be much appreciated.

Thank you

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

Posted on Oct 9, 2023 12:10 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 20, 2024 8:03 PM

See this comment: https://www.reddit.com/r/iphone/comments/16pbm6b/comment/k3m1gke/

Basically you find a pic in the Photos app and select “Assign to Contact.”

4 replies

How to change the Contact Photo WITHOUT changing the Contact Poster on the iPhone?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.