Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

iTunes compatibility with iPhone 14

Can't see my iPhone 14 iOS 17.0.3 in iTunes 12.8.2.3, my Mac is running OSX El Capitan 10.11.6. I believe it just started when I updated iPhone to iOS 17.

iPhone 14 Pro

Posted on Oct 9, 2023 6:53 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 9, 2023 8:12 AM

Good question, I've not seen any article saying it shouldn't be able to work.

However, as you can see from iTunes/Mac OS/iOS compatibility - Apple Community

your older version of iTunes has in fact had a long history of supporting older iOSes.

You can probably still use Image Capture to download photos.

if your Mac can't upgrade to a newer OS, you may want to consider getting an older phone using the older iOS until you can, or install Windows on your Mac:

Running Windows on a Mac, and Connecting … - Apple Community

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 9, 2023 8:12 AM in response to djbroc

Good question, I've not seen any article saying it shouldn't be able to work.

However, as you can see from iTunes/Mac OS/iOS compatibility - Apple Community

your older version of iTunes has in fact had a long history of supporting older iOSes.

You can probably still use Image Capture to download photos.

if your Mac can't upgrade to a newer OS, you may want to consider getting an older phone using the older iOS until you can, or install Windows on your Mac:

Running Windows on a Mac, and Connecting … - Apple Community

Oct 9, 2023 11:50 AM in response to djbroc

Official specs for both the iPhone 14 and 15, say you need High Sierra and iTunes 12.9 or higher. All other iPhones and iPads can work with 12.8.2.3 and El Capitan to 10.12.3 Sierra, as long as MFA is not enabled. Once MFA is enabled you need to insert your MFA code immediately after the password in El Capitan to 10.12.3 Sierra since none of those OSes supports MFA code. All Mountain Lion, Mavericks, Yosemite (10.8 through 10.10.5) Macs can upgrade to El Capitan, but not all Macs running El Capitan can run higher.

If it runs Sierra, it can run High Sierra. 10.12.4 through 10.12.6 are versions of Sierra before High Sierra.

iTunes compatibility with iPhone 14

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.