Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Why might Itunes for WIndows not recognize that my iPhone has been updated to the latest iOS?

I recently backed up my iPhone in iTunes for Windows. I updated my iPhone over wifi via the phone itself.

I am wondering if you may be able to tell me why my version of Itunes that I have did not recognize the update. The itunes version is12.12.10.1 in

Windows Home 22H2 that I use with my iPhone that has iOS 17.4.1. I know that I did not update the phone with iTunes, but I think that previously, it would recognize that the phone had been updated. It currently keeps asking me to update to the same iOS that I have on my phone. How do I resolve this issue without uninstalling iTunes?

Windows, Windows 10

Posted on Apr 24, 2024 11:44 AM

6 replies

Apr 26, 2024 2:14 AM in response to JoshuaCM

JoshuaCM wrote:

My version does not have an option under help to check for updates.

Are you sure? It's on the Help menu, but above the About iTunes line:

I'm led to believe that the version from the Microsoft Store doesn't have the update option because it updates automatically, meaning that there is no need to turn it on or off. But in addition, my understanding is that it also doesn't show which version is installed, because it is fully automatic.

JoshuaCM wrote:
The itunes version is12.12.10.1

Where did you find that information, because as stated the Microsoft version doesn't tell you which version it is? Even if it did, it updates automatically so it is difficult to see how your installed version could be two updates behind the current one.

There is something under preferences to automatically check for updated software.

Again, that suggests that you have the Apple version of iTunes, in which case there should be a Check for Updates option on the Help menu. Even if you had the Check for new software updates automatically option turned off there would still be an option to check manually.

Apr 30, 2024 1:46 AM in response to JoshuaCM

I'm at a loss to explain this then. I have to assume that your copy of iTunes came from the Microsoft Store, in which case, as stated, it should update automatically and not provide an option to avoid updating. All I can suggest now is that you check to ensure that your iTunes can get online. Make sure that your anti-virus is not preventing access.

Apr 30, 2024 12:16 PM in response to the fiend

it can get online as my security software shows that it allows it, and i have recently purchased something through itunes. I think it may have something to do with different versions being offered through the Windows store versus the apple website or something. I read something on a thread here.

It is similar to this:

https://www.macrumors.com/2024/03/27/ios-17-4-1-new-build-number/

https://9to5mac.com/2024/03/27/revised-build-ios-17-4-1/

That could be why that update is showing up. However, is it possible to overwrite the current installation of iTunes without the Windows settings doing something like removing the itunes backup directory?

it is stored on a secondary drive.

Why might Itunes for WIndows not recognize that my iPhone has been updated to the latest iOS?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.