How to download photos from macOS to iPhone

I want to TRANSFER or DOWNLOAD selected photos FROM my macOS platform (iMac) TO my iPhone.

I DO NOT want to SYNC photos. I just want to TRANSFER selected photos that I specify (either a folder or individual photos).

How do I do that? I don't see any suitable options on the dialog. See the attached screen grab of a Finder window viewing my iPhone.

iPhone 12 Pro Max

Posted on Oct 9, 2023 9:11 AM

Similar questions

11 replies

Oct 9, 2023 10:46 PM in response to Old Toad

That restriction is only for iTunes/Finder, right? I didn't encounter that problem using the Photos app on my iMac.

To download photos from my iPhone to my iMac I did the following:

1. Attached my iPhone to my iMac via cable.
  2. Opened Photos app on my iMac
  3. Clicked on the iPhone name in the left pane.
  4. Imported the photos from the phone.
  5. Exported all the photos to my hard disk on the iMac.
  6. Kept the photos in the Photos app "import" folder.
  7. Deleted the photos from my iPhone.
  8. The photos remain in the Photos app on my iMac.

Oct 9, 2023 2:24 PM in response to vxiansheng

AirDrop, email or texting is not syncing and those photos can be edited and managed like those taken by the iPhone. I prefer AirDrop.

The big restriction is when you upload photos via cable and iTunes/Finder (on newer systems). Those can't be deleted without removing them from the folder on the Mac's library and resending them.

Oct 10, 2023 12:41 PM in response to Old Toad

Ah, OK, got it. Thanks....

Yes, that is what I experienced with Finder. So I used AirDrop as suggested by @muguy.

AirDrop worked, but it's a cumbersome experience to be frank. I always have my iMac hard-wired to my network. Among other things, it's an unnecessary step to have to turn on Wi-Fi just to AirDrop files (upload) to my iPhone.

Thanks for confirming....

Oct 10, 2023 1:07 PM in response to Old Toad

Yes, my service order it set to

Ethernet

Wi-Fi

Thunderbolt bridge

I meant to say in my previous comment that the instructions I read on a few web pages for using AirDrop instructed to change to a Wi-Fi connection in order to use AirDrop.

I don't know if this was accurate. I'll test it next time I upload photos to my iPhone; I will not change to Wi-Fi.

How to download photos from macOS to iPhone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.