Receiving "can't view note" message for locked notes on PC

When I try to view a locked note from iOS Notes on PC, it gives me the message "can't view note". I have no option to enter a password to unlock the note. I can unlock the notes no problem on the phone.

Previously, iOS 16 and earlier, when I wanted to open a locked note on the PC, it gave me a field to enter my password, and then I could view my notes.

PC: win 10

browser: Brave, Firefox

iOS: 17.0.3

I use a custom password for Notes, not the device passcode.

I have removed the lock from my notes, reset the notes pwd on the phone, and locked notes again, still getting the same error on the PC.

This happens whether face ID is used or not used for the notes on the phone.

If you have a solution, thanks in advance.

Posted on Oct 9, 2023 11:37 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 21, 2024 11:55 PM

Same issue! Mine just started this week. Has anyone found a solution?

19 replies

Mar 2, 2024 7:35 PM in response to gravi.t

I'm also having this issue and have been since iOS 17 release — I've tried switching to device password and back, changing the password, deleting notes and creating new ones, turning on and off Advanced Data Protection, turning on and off use Face ID, using different web browsers and devices. Haven't found a fix. Using the latest version of iOS. Looks like currently if you have a password on a note you can't access it on the web. :(

May 10, 2024 12:02 AM in response to gravi.t

PROBLEM FIXED

I also had big problems with the "can't view notes" appearing in my locked iPhone Notes, but not on my MacBook Notes. So I removed the lock on my MacBook Notes... And then turned the lock back on, on the iPhone. I tried turning the lock off and then on, on the MacBook Notes but it didn't work. The "can't view notes" kept coming back on the iPhone Notes.

Jan 13, 2024 10:49 AM in response to gravi.t

Gosh, I also have this issue and it is driving me nuts. After using an iPhone for the last 15 years, I suddenly started having this issue about 3 months ago, also impacting on important locked notes. I booked an important with my local Apple store. Their only suggestion was to entirely wipe my iPhone and start from scratch - not very practical! I just want a simple fix!

Jan 22, 2024 12:02 AM in response to dira223

One of their previous updates fixed the issue completely but then the next update, it returned again! So clearly they are aware of this issue on somewhat level because they fixed it previously. So hopefully they will fix it again but I have a little confidence. Can someone please follow up with Apple directly and get it straight answer about this?

May 9, 2024 9:34 PM in response to gravi.t

TEMPORARY FIX

I temporarily fixed the "can't view note" problem. Problem is only in Notes on iPhone and not on MacBook. So on MacBook I can see the note. On the MacBook I removed the lock and then put the lock back. I could now see the locked note on the iPhone....BUT after a while the "can't view note" reappears on the iPhone locked note.

Feb 8, 2024 4:13 PM in response to gravi.t

I got into this issue today when my iphone 12 mini got under the rain, got wet and Face ID stopped working as a result (getting a message “Face ID not available.”)

SOLUTION:

• Go to Settings
  • Go to Notes
  • Go to Password
  • Get into every account
  • First, de-activate “Use Face ID”
  • Second, I had to select “Use Device Passcode”, instead of the Custom Password. Perhaps this step is optional.
  • After a moment of panic, I can access my locked notes both on iphone and on icloud again.

(note: prior to doing that, I could not access my notes with a password even on my iphone. The app would just become unresponsive and do nothing).

Receiving "can't view note" message for locked notes on PC

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.