driver needed for Canon MG 8220 on Ventura

Recently-purchased MB Air running Ventura (latest update) cannot connect to my older Canon MG 8220 printer/scanner. Canon apparently won't support it on 64-bit only Mac OS. I've had a look at PrintFab and ViewScan as solutions. Does anyone have experience with these, or with some other product that works well? I need this machine for flat-bed scanning and color printing until I run out of ink - then I guess I'll replace it.

MacBook Air, macOS 13.5

Posted on Oct 10, 2023 10:35 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 10, 2023 11:29 AM

Canon clearly states that this device is retired and they are no longer supporting it. There are no drivers for it. However… when it is networked (wired/wireless with no USB cable connected), it is supported by Apple's built-in AirPrint for scan (using Image Capture) and printing. No Canon software is required.

Once you have it powered up and on your local network, visit Settings : Printers & Scanners. If the MG8220 is shown in Printers, click on it and choose Remove Printer from the subsequent panel. Next, click the Add Printer, Scanner, or Fax button. A new window will appear. If not already selected with the MG8220 shown, click the first toolbar button with a printer icon.

By now, you should have a line item for your printer discovered on the network. When you click that printer entry, the Use: selector will switch from Auto-Select to your printer name. Click the Add button. This will result in a new entry under Printers. Right-click on that and set it to the default printer. Print something.

I don't have a multi-function device, just a laser printer, so not certain if you click that Add Printer button again to add your scanner, or if it will be autodetected for you. At any rate, launch Apple's Image Capture from the /Applications folder and see if it detects the scanner.

When selecting a new multi-function device, confirm it is supported by Apple's AirPrint before purchase, and secondarily that VueScan Professional supports it without vendor drivers. That doubles your autonomy.

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 10, 2023 11:29 AM in response to silentflyer

Canon clearly states that this device is retired and they are no longer supporting it. There are no drivers for it. However… when it is networked (wired/wireless with no USB cable connected), it is supported by Apple's built-in AirPrint for scan (using Image Capture) and printing. No Canon software is required.

Once you have it powered up and on your local network, visit Settings : Printers & Scanners. If the MG8220 is shown in Printers, click on it and choose Remove Printer from the subsequent panel. Next, click the Add Printer, Scanner, or Fax button. A new window will appear. If not already selected with the MG8220 shown, click the first toolbar button with a printer icon.

By now, you should have a line item for your printer discovered on the network. When you click that printer entry, the Use: selector will switch from Auto-Select to your printer name. Click the Add button. This will result in a new entry under Printers. Right-click on that and set it to the default printer. Print something.

I don't have a multi-function device, just a laser printer, so not certain if you click that Add Printer button again to add your scanner, or if it will be autodetected for you. At any rate, launch Apple's Image Capture from the /Applications folder and see if it detects the scanner.

When selecting a new multi-function device, confirm it is supported by Apple's AirPrint before purchase, and secondarily that VueScan Professional supports it without vendor drivers. That doubles your autonomy.

Oct 14, 2023 3:07 PM in response to VikingOSX

For the benefit of others who may run into the same problem, the solution was a variant on the instructions above. I was not successful connecting the printer to my router with a wired ethernet connection - it was not recognized by the router after trying various troubleshooting steps (rebooting, swapping cables, etc.). However, using the instructions for setting up a wireless connection did work and the printer added successfully. This required using Canon's IJ network utility on the Mac, and a usb cable to do the setup, after which it must be disconnected. Instructions here:

Using the IJ Network Tool to Reconfigure the Printer's Network Settings after AP / Router Change (Mac)

https://support.usa.canon.com/kb/index?page=content&id=ART115899

driver needed for Canon MG 8220 on Ventura

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.