Unable to unlock my Mac (Ventura) with Apple Watch 8 (Watch OS 10.01)

Every time a new OS or Watch OS update is released, it seems the problem returns or gets worse.

I can select "Use Apple Watch to unlock your applications and your Mac."

It then asks me to enter my password for my Mac, and then it says, "Synching".

This lasts for a few minutes, and then the "slidder" goes back to the unselected position.

This has been reported over and over in the forums without successful resolution.

I have tried all the options reported, including Safe Mode, unpairing and reconnecting, deleting multiple "autounlock" items from Keychain and still nothing works.

Has anyone resolved this issue or do we have to keep contacting Apple and hoping this is fixed in a future update?

Posted on Oct 10, 2023 10:57 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 10, 2023 11:02 PM

Hi ajmac25,

welcome to the Apple (user-to-user) Community.

Re: Unable to unlock my Mac (Ventura) with Apple Watch 8 (Watch OS 10.01)

About watchOS 10 Updates - Apple Support says WatchOS 10.2 is the latest update (includes bug fixes).

Here is Apple Support's guide for WatchOS 10

How to: Unlock your Mac with Apple Watch - Apple Support

Re: Has anyone resolved this issue

There's a discussion thread on a similar topic, with an answer that worked:

apple watch won't unlock Mac - Apple Community

Eg: If you click to see "all replies" at the bottom. the original poster says:

"I did find out what was the cause for my watch not unlocking my iMac. My watch would work but only after I was paired via Bluetooth and connected via WiFi (my iMac is also connected to the internet by a

Ethernet) after a session or sometime the iMac would drop the WiFi connection and my watch wouldn’t unlock so the solution was to give the iMac a static IP address and that the IP addressing away the DHCP sever".

All the best :-)

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 10, 2023 11:02 PM in response to ajmac25

Hi ajmac25,

welcome to the Apple (user-to-user) Community.

Re: Unable to unlock my Mac (Ventura) with Apple Watch 8 (Watch OS 10.01)

About watchOS 10 Updates - Apple Support says WatchOS 10.2 is the latest update (includes bug fixes).

Here is Apple Support's guide for WatchOS 10

How to: Unlock your Mac with Apple Watch - Apple Support

Re: Has anyone resolved this issue

There's a discussion thread on a similar topic, with an answer that worked:

apple watch won't unlock Mac - Apple Community

Eg: If you click to see "all replies" at the bottom. the original poster says:

"I did find out what was the cause for my watch not unlocking my iMac. My watch would work but only after I was paired via Bluetooth and connected via WiFi (my iMac is also connected to the internet by a

Ethernet) after a session or sometime the iMac would drop the WiFi connection and my watch wouldn’t unlock so the solution was to give the iMac a static IP address and that the IP addressing away the DHCP sever".

All the best :-)

Unable to unlock my Mac (Ventura) with Apple Watch 8 (Watch OS 10.01)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.