iPhone 15 Pro Max Black Screen

I have had my iPhone 15 pro max less than a month and this is the second time I have experienced the black screen of death. It Normally happens possibly whilst charging my phone through the night. Come the morning I’m faced with the issue. The buttons make sounds and vibrations as if the phone is on. However I am unable to reset or turn the phone off and on. The first time lasted a few hours into the morning where I would receive calls and notifications, but unable to see or answer. The second time until my set alarm went off and then the phone reset itself

[Edited by Moderator]

iPhone 15 Pro Max, iOS 17

Posted on Oct 10, 2023 11:40 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 28, 2023 4:22 AM

I hope my writing will help someone.

I am also using 15 max and I have to Force restart iPhone.

1. Press and quickly release the volume up button.
  2. Press and quickly release the volume down button.
  3. Press and hold the side button.
  4. When the Apple logo appears, release the side button

I hope it will be fixed in the next update.

58 replies

Oct 15, 2023 4:43 AM in response to Blueberrsunris10

I had the same thing happen while charging my phone overnight. I could feel the vibrations and sounds but screen was black. I even had someone call me and it rang but the screen would not come on. I ended up restarting with the volume up volume down and hold the power button until it reset. Came back on without issue.

Apple please look into this.

Oct 18, 2023 1:53 AM in response to Blueberrsunris10

bro I literally just got the same thing I left my phone on charge on an at&t usb c charger overnight it was making all the noises and everything but would not show an image the screen just stayed black.so what ended up happening is my wife called me and then it started showing the screen again this is a very weird glitch and i hope they fix this soon cus not only is it weird its scary when you buy a phone not even a month ago and its dead in the water for no reason, without a warranty.

Nov 14, 2023 6:42 PM in response to jorge.goncalves

This happened to me this morning, and luckily I had an iPad to look up the solution:

1) Press the “sound up” bar on the left side quickly

2) Press the “sound down” bar on the left side quickly

3) Hold the hard reset on the right until the Apple symbol appears

4) This will bring you to the Home Screen to put in your pass code

5) Clear your phone of all open apps.

Apparently when the phone backs up or updates overnight, some of the new updates might not be compatible and the phone shuts down.

Hopefully they find a fix for this soon!

Nov 5, 2023 8:51 PM in response to gam3r

I’m going to turn off raise to wake and report back in few days

Also something odd worth mentioning and need you all to respond to cross check.

I always leave my phone connected at work during the day as well.

but I only recollect this happening during night when asleep and realizing when I wake up.

is it same for you all?, could it be alarm causing this?

Nov 1, 2023 6:49 PM in response to Blueberrsunris10

Just happened to me too, always on went off while it was on charge at night in front of me and I thought its just the AOD that turned off. Tapped to wake the screen.. nothing. Pressed the unlock button... nothing. Finally had to force restart it to get it working again.

Please tell me its a software issue cuz I'm really not looking to get another phone and set all the apps from scratch again even with iCloud backup.

Oct 31, 2023 12:46 PM in response to Blueberrsunris10

The first time for me was last night. I noticed the screen was black after removing it from charging. I tried restarting, etc. After a while, I got the Restore screen with the address in the picture. I went to the address, plugged the phone into my MacBook Pro, restarted it, a Finder window opened, and software downloaded/installed into the phone. After completion and restart, the iPhone returned to normal.

I didn't see this process mentioned. Is it new? So far, the phone's operating normally.

iPhone 15 Pro Max Black Screen

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.