MacBook Pro won’t charge

Hello,

My MacBook Pro is refusing to charge no matter what I do. I have tried different cables and power outlets (even though it works on other devices). The ports are debris-free (and none of the four will take a charge). My battery health is showing as normal, and Apple Diagnostics showed nothing.

It was doing this the other day and a SMC Reset worked, it charged to full and then the next time I went to use it (today) it would not charge again. SMC reset isn’t working this time. I have tried to update but it’s not above 50% so cannot charge it. I cannot understand what’s going on.

Intel Processor - 2GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i5

MacBook Pro, 13-inch, 2020, Four Thunderbolt 3 ports

Running Ventura 13.5.1

Any advice from anyone - I really don’t want to send it in for repair if I can avoid it as it doesn’t appear to be a hardware issue according to all the things one would check.

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 13.5

Posted on Oct 11, 2023 7:59 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 11, 2023 10:45 AM

NDita93 wrote:

Hello,

My MacBook Pro is refusing to charge no matter what I do. I have tried different cables and power outlets (even though it works on other devices). The ports are debris-free (and none of the four will take a charge). My battery health is showing as normal, and Apple Diagnostics showed nothing.

It was doing this the other day and a SMC Reset worked, it charged to full and then the next time I went to use it (today) it would not charge again. SMC reset isn’t working this time. I have tried to update but it’s not above 50% so cannot charge it. I cannot understand what’s going on.

Running Ventura 13.5.1

Any advice from anyone - I really don’t want to send it in for repair if I can avoid it as it doesn’t appear to be a hardware issue according to all the things one would check.

If no resolve take it in—

In or out of warranty you can get a free over the counter 'Apple Service Diagnostics' test /assessment

Make an appointment for a "hardware issue"

Genius Bar Reservation and Apple Support Options - Apple

Outside the USA

Contact Apple for support and service - Apple Support

Get help with your Mac notebook battery

Learn how to optimize the life of the battery in your Mac notebook, fix battery issues, and get service.

If you see Service Recommended on your MacBook Air or MacBook Pro - Apple Support

ref: About battery health management in Mac laptops

The current stable release of Ventura including bug fixes, security updates is macOS Ventura 13.6

Keep your Mac up to date - Apple Support

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 11, 2023 10:45 AM in response to NDita93

NDita93 wrote:

Hello,

Running Ventura 13.5.1

If no resolve take it in—

In or out of warranty you can get a free over the counter 'Apple Service Diagnostics' test /assessment

Make an appointment for a "hardware issue"

Genius Bar Reservation and Apple Support Options - Apple

Outside the USA

Contact Apple for support and service - Apple Support

Get help with your Mac notebook battery

Learn how to optimize the life of the battery in your Mac notebook, fix battery issues, and get service.

If you see Service Recommended on your MacBook Air or MacBook Pro - Apple Support

ref: About battery health management in Mac laptops

The current stable release of Ventura including bug fixes, security updates is macOS Ventura 13.6

MacBook Pro won’t charge

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.