Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

MacFUSE/VeraCrypt not working with OS13 and OS14 (error = kext load failed- -603947007)

MacFUSE/VeraCrypt not working with OS13 and OS14 (error = kext load failed- -603947007)

I have the following situation.  I use VeraCrypt (VC) (version 1.25.9) that use MacFUSE (version 4.5.0).  Presently we use OS12 (belt and braces approach learned from Apple Tech People long ago, “Never upgrade to the newest OS, let others test and wait till most bugs are out.”) and want to move to OS 13.

In order to be following the belt and braces approach I am testing all our applications on an external USB SSD connected to a M1 MBP, with the new system installed on the USB SSD.  All applications work as should, except VC that use MacFUSE.

I get the flowing error that I believe is a MacFUSE error.

kext load failed- -603947007
mount_macfuse- the file system is not available (255)

I removed and installed MacFUSE, rebooted several times, checked security settings etc. all seems OK.  But maybe I missed something.

We use the latest version of MacFUSE.

Does anybody have any idea as to what I am missing here or why it does not work?  I see in the MacFUSE forum that it is confirmed (a different problem as mine) that MacFUSE works with OS 13 and OS 14.

VeraCrypt MacFUSE not working under Mac OS 13

MacBook Pro (M1, 2020)

Posted on Oct 11, 2023 8:16 AM

Similar questions

7 replies

Oct 11, 2023 10:04 AM in response to ChangeAgent

You do know that you can encrypt your drive with the system and don't need a 3rd party app, right? Just enable File Vault.

Have you checked with MacFuse's developer to see ifs it's compatible with Ventura and Sonoma? Also there are other NTFS apps out there that do work well with Ventura. uxera and Paragon both make NTFS write software for macOS.

It's been reported numerous times that during updates and upgrades the NTFS software gets removed or partially removed and has to be reinstalled.

Oct 12, 2023 3:27 AM in response to Old Toad

Old Toad wrote:

You do know that you can encrypt your drive with the system and don't need a 3rd party app, right? Just enable File Vault.

Yes i do know and I do. This, VC, is used for portable devices that that travel.

Have you checked with MacFuse's developer to see ifs it's compatible with Ventura and Sonoma? Also there are other NTFS apps out there that do work well with Ventura. uxera and Paragon both make NTFS write software for macOS.

yes i did before posting. nothing there.

It's been reported numerous times that during updates and upgrades the NTFS software gets removed or partially removed and has to be reinstalled.

I know that and did a reinstall and no success.

Thanks for the tips though.

Oct 12, 2023 5:14 AM in response to ChangeAgent

ChangeAgent wrote:

Does anybody have any idea as to what I am missing here or why it does not work? 

MacFUSE is junk. Always has been. It's a clever enough software for a toy, but you shouldn't ever use it for a real app. If you have data encrypted with that VeraCrypt app, consider yourself lucky that you can still use the old system to decrypt the data. You should do this while you still can.

This, VC, is used for portable devices that that travel.

You can still encrypt them. You don't need any 3rd party software. The only thing that makes FileVault special is that it encrypts your boot drive. But you can encrypt any drive and it uses the same encryption that FileVault uses.

Oct 12, 2023 7:13 AM in response to etresoft

Thanks etresoft. Are you seriously meaning this that it is crap? Are you the guy who wrote is involved with (the excellent) EtreCheck? In that case I have to assume that your post is a more professional opinion. See I ask as I have never had any problems with VC (or its predecessor) in the past.

I know about FileVault being able to encrypt disks other than OS disks. We do use this.

I wrote that it is a portable device for ease of writing. It is not. It is a file that looks like it is a jpeg file that is on a non OS SSD. So this is what I like about VC that on first look the file does not look like it is an important something. I suspect I can not achieve this with FileVault, or?

And are there other solutions I might use that you know of?

Oct 12, 2023 8:23 AM in response to ChangeAgent

ChangeAgent wrote:

Are you seriously meaning this that it is crap?

That's not how I phrased it. It's a cool idea, but unreliable and impractical. You absolutely don't want to depend on it for anything.

Are you the guy who wrote is involved with (the excellent) EtreCheck?

Yes. Also, ironically enough, pretty much all current version of MacFUSE are forked from a GitHub project that I created many years ago. I didn't write MacFUSE. I was just a heavy user of it circa 2009 or so. I though it was a really cool idea, but it had been abandoned. So I made a fork with plans to re-develop it. But I took one look at the source code and decided that would be a bad idea. Later I tried to write some other apps using a home-grown alternative based on Apple's WebDAV. But it turned out that Apple's WebDAV was also junk. Here is a little history article about MacFUSE: https://www.theregister.com/2019/12/16/fuse_macos_closed_source/

It is a file that looks like it is a jpeg file that is on a non OS SSD.

Ah! Trying to roll your own steganography system, eh? While routing all of the data through a now closed-source data transfer layer? My statements above are based entirely on technical issues relating to lack of support, lack of documentation, code quality, and the changing landscape of security and economics in the Mac software marketplace. It's really not a good idea to use MacFUSE for this. But even a cursory glance at the history of VeraCrypt is scary. If you think any forensics people would be fooled by that JPEG file, then you're in deep trouble.

I suspect I can not achieve this with FileVault, or?

And are there other solutions I might use that you know of?

Remember, FileVault is just a technology for booting from an encrypt disk. My recommendation would be to simply use encrypted APFS volumes. There's no law against encrypted volumes. But by using MacFUSE and VeraCrypt, you are putting yourself very close to things that you don't want to be close to.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.