iPad Pro 12.9 2023 battery drains quickly since iOS 17 update

Ever since the iOS 17 update my iPad Pro 12.9 (2TB 2023 model) battery life only last about an hour and a half. Before it was lasting about 6-9 hours. My daughter has the 11 inch 1TB model and is having the same issue. Can this be fixed?

Posted on Oct 11, 2023 5:14 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 12, 2023 1:10 PM

I came here for this exact problem. I have all of the updates, I have done everything that has been suggested and I have nothing running in the background, no apps running, i did everything. I charged my iPad to full and I am sitting here watching the battery drain for no apparent reason. When I first got this iPad 12.9 2022 6th gen, I did not have any battery problems. Now I can't even have the thing open for 30 minutes before it's lost over 50% battery life.

There is obviously a known issue going on with these devices. Apple needs to take care of this or replace our devices. We have paid too much money for something that doesn't work to it's capacity.

47 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 12, 2023 1:10 PM in response to MrsCampbell1

I came here for this exact problem. I have all of the updates, I have done everything that has been suggested and I have nothing running in the background, no apps running, i did everything. I charged my iPad to full and I am sitting here watching the battery drain for no apparent reason. When I first got this iPad 12.9 2022 6th gen, I did not have any battery problems. Now I can't even have the thing open for 30 minutes before it's lost over 50% battery life.

There is obviously a known issue going on with these devices. Apple needs to take care of this or replace our devices. We have paid too much money for something that doesn't work to it's capacity.

Dec 10, 2023 5:50 PM in response to bbesspete

No I am a tech nerd and I have degrees in tech. It has very few apps and I make sure nothing runs in the background that is not needed. There was nothing wrong until the update. It has gotten a lot better since the last 3 or 4 updates but not like it was when I originally purchased the iPad so 1 of 2 things must happen. I will either need an exchange when a new one is released or go back to Samsung. It cost too much money for something not to produce high quality performance.

Oct 28, 2023 10:41 AM in response to MrsCampbell1

I think we all have a bigger issue here. Switching to Sonoma reduced my battery drastically.

My iPad lost 12% battery capacity!!!

Apple has to do something.

I monitor the battery strength/capacity regularly on all my devices. Updating to Sonoma reduced my battery capacity by over 1.200 mA. That is about 12% of the battery capacity.

I own an iPad Pro M2 12.9inch (iPad 14,6).

Before the update to Sonoma the iPad had 10.707mA battery capacity. That is about 99,5% of the default of a new and healthy battery.

My iPad lost 12%!!!

Dec 13, 2023 7:27 AM in response to MrsCampbell1

I’m having the same or similar issue where after my last OS update my battery is hovering at less than 10% and periodically dies completely. I can get it to a full charge by leaving it alone for a few hours, but once I try to work again it plummets back down to below 10% and seems to have difficulty staying connected to charge, which it is not the cable or brick or botch’s doing as they have all been tested and swapped out to eliminate that potential problem.

as of now it won’t even display what % it is charged at. It’s just in the red but has the bolt indicating it is charging.

Feb 7, 2024 3:40 PM in response to Uninspyrd

From 100% to 80 it’s fine, it’s a few good hours.

from 80 to 40 it’s 3 hour of screen on time

its worse from 30 downwards, I have the feeling that from 30 to under 20% battery is gone in like 10-15 minutes…

using it in the same way, I was able to get with some battery, on my old Galaxy tab, on the second day.

i have to recharge the iPad Pro every single night…

Feb 19, 2024 4:25 AM in response to MrsCampbell1

Just got an iPad Pro 12.9" with a new pencil yesterday. I have hardly done much with it all - just messed around with a few new features. I also can't believe how quick the battery drains. I wondered if it was the pencil, so I will leave it detached but i'm not 100% sure that's the entire problem. Seems to be a battery or software issue. My other iPad (9th gen 10.2) is a few years old and has had heavy use and keep a really good charge - usually get a few days use out of it. If this is what my brand new iPad Pro is like out of the box on Day One, what's it going to be like in 2 years?

Is this a forum for mugs like us just to have a whine, or does anyone from Apple actually give a sht about this and reply? I'm going into an Apple store when I get a chance

Oct 12, 2023 1:42 PM in response to MrsCampbell1

Hello MrsCampbell1,

We would like to see how we can help you with your iPad battery draining quickly. Which iPadOS 17 version are you currently running? Go to Settings > General > About for the version. If you are not already, please update to iPadOS 17.0.3 and test the issue for 48 hours. Follow the steps in this link to update: Update your iPhone or iPad - Apple Support

"Update your iPhone or iPad wirelessly

1. Back up your device using iCloud or your computer.
  2. Plug your device into power and connect to the internet with Wi-Fi.
  3. Go to Settings > General, then tap Software Update.
  4. If you see more than one software update option available, choose the one that you want to install.
  5. Tap Install Now. If you see Download and Install instead, tap it to download the update, enter your passcode, then tap Install Now. If you don't know your passcode, learn what to do."

Cheers!

Jun 13, 2024 3:07 AM in response to MrsCampbell1

Good afternoon. I own an iPad Pro (11th-inch M2 chip). and my iPad battery health is 95% with approximately 300 battery cycles (there is neither liquid damage nor physical damage). After updating to IPados 17, I observed a rapid battery drain. As my iPad battery life is 95%, I assume it should give me only 8–9 hours for video playback time (Apple advertises that the iPad Pro has a video playback time of 10 hours), but it only gives me approx. 4 hours of battery backup. Even after resting my operating system through my MacBook and not downloading apps and only browsing Safari (as suggested by Apple Advisor), I am still getting 4 hours of battery life, so I conclude that there is no app that is harming my battery backup. After getting in touch with Apple Support and talking to them for a month, they told me it was because I was using a mobile hotspot as internet access on my iPad. After using wifi as internet access on my iPad, I am still getting the same result. and I think I am not the only one who is facing this problem. I can see on the Apple Community website that there are many issues related to battery backup. I am very disappointed with the health of my iPad battery. Being an Apple fan boy, if I am getting this type of issue, then I am not good at it. This type of thinking motivates me not to recommend the iPad to anyone and to shift to an available product on the market. If it is an operating system issue, I would look for a way to get this solved in IPados 18. (I don't have any hardware issues, as told by the Apple Advisor.)

iPad Pro 12.9 2023 battery drains quickly since iOS 17 update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.