Newsroom Update

The redesigned iPad Air and new iPad Pro with Apple silicon are now available. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPad Pro 2nd Gen external monitor support - no arrangements option.

I’m trying to get a second display set up for my iPad to allow me to work on it more effectively but when I attached a monitor (either directly with a USB-C to USB-C connection or the USB-C to HDMI adapter), the option for arrangements is missing. I have tried to force restart my iPad (connected to the monitors and not connected) but it doesn’t change the display options. Is there any support for this particular iPad to be able to use an external monitor or am I chasing my tail?

iPad Pro, iPadOS 17

Posted on Oct 11, 2023 9:23 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 27, 2024 12:23 AM

Hi,

Currently I am using ios 17.3 version with IPad Pro 2nd generation. The stage manager support is there with it.

However when I connect to monitor only mirror option is there. There is no extend option.

Can we request apple to provide support for IPad Pro 2nd generation for extended monitor instead of mirroring. ?

2 replies

Oct 12, 2023 4:48 AM in response to Eeveelution

Your monitor’s screen resolution will impact the available settings and external screen capabilities. 

While undocumented, testing has demonstrated that 4:3 monitors with a display resolution of 1280x1024 and below are currently only usable with iPad screen mirroring; as such, associated settings to disable screen mirroring in favour of Stage Manager are not available in iPad Display settings.

When used with a 16:9 widescreen monitor, with a native display resolution of 1920x1080 or greater, the full set of Display settings - and access to Stage Manager - become available.

The iPad User Guide lists the upper resolution limit as 6K - but the Guide offers no lower limit, or suggestion of aspect-ratio, being a factor for compatibility:

Connect iPad to a display with a cable - Apple Support

This discussion thread may be of additional interest:

iPad Extended Desktop not working - Apple Community

In conclusion, your monitor must be capable of 16:9 widescreen 1920x1080 (FHD) to support iPadOS16 Stage Manager extended desktop. Unless the monitor meets the minimum required specifications, you will not see the full range of controls in iPad settings.  

iPad Pro 2nd Gen external monitor support - no arrangements option.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.