Messenger app still doesn't work on my Macbook

I updated to Sonoma yesterday (Macbook M1) and my Messenger app still doesn't work. It has not worked in the last couple of OS updates either... It seems there's a bug. It shows "getting started" but nothing happens. I have deleted and reinstalled the Messenger app. It didn't help. Anyone knows what to do?

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 14.0

Posted on Oct 12, 2023 2:22 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 12, 2023 3:10 AM

OK, I found an older post, when someone wrote:

"I had the same problem with the FB Messenger on my MacBook Pro M1 and just found a solution via the YouTube clip https://youtu.be/tEoHoDU3lBA - by deleting 'Messenger Desktop.v1' in the login area of the Keychain Access the Messenger app started working again without having to change my user name."

So I couldn't delete 'Messenger Desktop.v1' in the keychain area but I opened it and deleted the password/key. Then I was prompted to login to Messenger desktop again (I chose via Facebook) and then it worked!!! Problem solved.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 12, 2023 3:10 AM in response to bszorad

OK, I found an older post, when someone wrote:

"I had the same problem with the FB Messenger on my MacBook Pro M1 and just found a solution via the YouTube clip https://youtu.be/tEoHoDU3lBA - by deleting 'Messenger Desktop.v1' in the login area of the Keychain Access the Messenger app started working again without having to change my user name."

So I couldn't delete 'Messenger Desktop.v1' in the keychain area but I opened it and deleted the password/key. Then I was prompted to login to Messenger desktop again (I chose via Facebook) and then it worked!!! Problem solved.

Mar 2, 2024 8:10 PM in response to bszorad

The stated solution unfortunately didn't work for me. Messenger.app v. 182.0 hasn't worked since I installed Sonoma 14.3.1 on my M2 MacBook Air. By not working I mean that previews of the recent messages and reactions are visible in the Chats column on the left – so they're somehow registered with the app – but not in the message pane on the right. You can see this in the attached screenshot, which shows a preview of my last message to Sh**, S**, C**, but not the message itself at the right, or anything since I installed Sonoma (except, again, the previews and reactions in the Chats column at left). I deleted the password/key in Keyboard Access and re-logged in, but there was no visible change. So it looks like I need a different solution.

[Edited by Moderator]

Oct 12, 2023 4:33 AM in response to bszorad

If you deleted the Apple Messenger.app, you're damaging your OS. It's an integral part of the system.

We have five Macs dating from 2015 to 2020. All of them have been through every update/upgrade offered and we have never had a problem with Mac Messages through the entire process path.

I suggest you have something going on you're not telling us about. If you provide full details on your Mac and greater context for your issues, help may be possible. So far all you've said is essentially, "Messenger is not working". That's simply not enough to go on.

If you mean a 3rd party messenger app, you need to talk to its developers for a solution. It's their responsibility to make their product work with macOS, not the reverse.

Apr 20, 2024 7:15 AM in response to bszorad

I don't remember everything I did and am confused about the sequence, but in any event the Messenger app seems to be working again – that is, all the messages are appearing at the right whereas they weren't before. I changed my Messenger Keyboard Maestro macro to open Messenger in my browser rather than the app; but at some point I changed it back to opening the app, presumably meaning that I'd somehow discovered that the app was displaying all the messages again. I don't remember how this happened, but in any event I'm okay now, thanks.

Messenger app still doesn't work on my Macbook

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.