Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Unable to export from iMovie 10.3.10

When I try to export to a file, NOTHING happens, no prompts on format etc either.

iMac 3.8GHz 8-Core Intel i7. 72GB DDR4, Sonoma 14.0

iMac 27″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Oct 12, 2023 2:31 AM

31 replies

Oct 13, 2023 6:08 PM in response to leightonbuzzard

Hi,

Sometimes with an upgrade to a new operating system glitches can occur. Maybe an iMovie preference went awry.

The first thing is to make sure that you have updated your iMovie app to the most current version.

If the issue still persists, try deleting/resetting preferences. To delete/reset preferences, open iMovie while holding down the Option and Command keys and select to delete preferences in the box that appears. iMovie will open

in a new empty library. Reopen your old library to get back to your projects. Possibly you may need to reboot to set the changes.  Deleting preferences is a safe procedure that will not cause data loss or disruption to your project. Now see if you can export. It may help to create a totally new project and then try exporting. Sometimes problems can occur in one project but not another.

If still no luck, you can try rebooting in Safe Mode and, after every thing loads, shut down and reboot in normal mode. That should clear out any conflicts that might have arisen. This link will describe the procedure for booting up in Safe Mode.

Start up your Mac in safe mode - Apple Support

-- Rich

Oct 26, 2023 7:38 AM in response to Ian R. Brown

I just received an email from Apple saying I had breached their TOU and was about to blow my top with them when I noticed that for once they were correct!

By some weird quirk of fate, I posted a link to a YouTube video. It should of course have been this . . .

Final Cut Pro for Mac - Free Trial - Apple

PS I hope this does not contravene the TOU.

Oct 26, 2023 4:45 AM in response to ArchieShepp

Yep, I've just downloaded 14.1 too and it hasn't squashed the bug in iMovie.

Hopefully the next one will.

I was in contact with someone in Apple Support. They were hoping 14.1 would work too. Oh well. However, he did give me an alright workaround.

1. Create a new User - I called mine something easy with the same password
  2. Open iMovie and create something!
  3. It's worked for me
  4. The rub? I Dropbox .mov & .mp4 files between my Users. Much hassle but it works
  5. The further rub? I still cannot export my existing files in iMovie whilst logged in on my original User

I'm going back to the same Apple Support guy and will let him know

I will come back here at some point and post his response

Good luck!

Stu

Oct 14, 2023 11:34 AM in response to Ian R. Brown

Hello Ian

I have been having the same issue since updating to MacOS 14.0 Sonoma

After editing a movie, I return to the Projects screen*.

I press the button with 3 dots > Share Project > File*

When I press File nothing happens. The options disappear.

Previously, I would be taken to another screen to select High Medium or Low quality with 540, 720, 1080 options.

I absolutely need these options for my work. I need the ability to save MP4s.

I have resorted to iMovie on IOS on my iPhone as a workaround, but it is not nearly so good

I would so appreciate your help and guidance

Stu

*screenshots attached

Oct 15, 2023 2:32 AM in response to Ian R. Brown

Hey Ian

Thanks for getting back to me, I really appreciate it.

I did this after reading Rich's suggestion and then again, after getting your reply.

No luck.

Somehow there is a bug in the system, which means iMovie on my Mac is inoperable.

I don't know how close you are to Apple, but if you are, please could you let them know to try and get a bug fix?

Thanks again

Stu

Oct 15, 2023 9:10 AM in response to leightonbuzzard

I have the same issue.

After trying several failed attempts at things suggested here, I eventually contacted Apple Support. They have been really helpful even though they're still working on a workaround for me.

Also, they have escalated the issue to Engineering, as many other users are having the same issue, to come up with a bug fix at some point.

Fingers crossed!

Oct 25, 2023 11:37 PM in response to Arnell

Good morning. I have the same bug since moving to Sonoma with iMovie. I would like to point out that between the automatic update of iMovie on October 6 and the time I updated to Sonoma on October 16 (only), I was able to export 2 iMovie projects without problem. I also specify that I tested the export on another standard session (i.e. not my main session) and that the export works perfectly.

I installed Sonoma update 14.1 this morning and the problem is still there. Unresolved bug therefore and the export works on the other session (but it's still annoying to change sessions to work on iMovie only).

I also specify that I have carried out all possible manipulations (deleting "preferences", new library, etc.).

Any other possible leads if you have any? Thanks.

(macBook Air M2 - Sonoma 14.1)

Oct 26, 2023 4:57 AM in response to stupacker

Here's another workaround which may be better if it works.

Download the free 90 day trial of Final Cut Pro and send your iMovie project to FCP . . . it takes about 5 seconds. Then export it from FCP.

The free trial is truly free and you don't need to give any personal details . . . just click the Download button and it's yours.

[Edited by Moderator]

Nov 9, 2023 1:52 AM in response to ArchieShepp

Hey ArchieShep

Exactly the same with me.

The Apple Support person that I am in contact with is really helpful and will be guiding me through another easier workaround. However, it is just a workaround at this point.

He has no news on when, or even whether, this bug might be fixed.

It impedes my work and, like many people, i am frustrated about this.

Good luck!

Nov 26, 2023 2:06 AM in response to ArchieShepp

*Update*

Apple support helped me, and it worked

*Disclaimer*

It worked for me on my system. It may or may not work for you on yours

After trying all the other options, Apple support guided me through erasing my MacBook Air. Note- I did a full backup on Time Machine beforehand. The latest Sonoma was installed and then reinstalling my stuff from the Time Machine. There is a special step in this process that seemed to have squashed the bug in iMovie. It totally worked for me and, if you go through Apple Support, it could work for you too.

Good luck!

Unable to export from iMovie 10.3.10

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.