📢 Newsroom Update

The iPhone 16 and iPhone 16 Pro lineups, Apple Watch Series 10, the new black titanium Apple Watch Ultra 2, AirPods 4, and new colors for AirPods Max are now available! Learn more >

You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Sharing children’s AirTags IOS17

The share AirTag option is not available in my child’s ’Find My’ options. I understand this is a design feature? Why can’t the parent responsible for their child account share the AirTag this would be incredibly useful and the whole reason we’re waiting for 17 to come out!

Posted on Oct 12, 2023 3:37 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Dec 29, 2023 1:32 PM

Our child is thirteen, and the “share airtag with” is not available.

Therefore the airtag attached to her set of keys is only useful to her.

The main point of getting airtags for each family member was to be able to find each other when the case arises: father traveling, and being able to be spotted in case something happens. Likewise for mom. If youngsters are missing for a while, it would be reassuring to know location, not to mention a school trip.

If we want to get into mud regarding privacy, freedom, etc. keep in mind that any member of the family could willfully refuse owning, or, even better, could refuse to share. I even thought the child sharing feature could have been conditioned by Screentime, wich is a pretty good means of controlling against misbehavior, and time management.

Sharing the airtag feature is a small step forward, but so far, for our family seems to work fine as a reminder we left the keys behind, not much more, and how to spot them.

10 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Dec 29, 2023 1:32 PM in response to Tesserax

Our child is thirteen, and the “share airtag with” is not available.

Therefore the airtag attached to her set of keys is only useful to her.

The main point of getting airtags for each family member was to be able to find each other when the case arises: father traveling, and being able to be spotted in case something happens. Likewise for mom. If youngsters are missing for a while, it would be reassuring to know location, not to mention a school trip.

If we want to get into mud regarding privacy, freedom, etc. keep in mind that any member of the family could willfully refuse owning, or, even better, could refuse to share. I even thought the child sharing feature could have been conditioned by Screentime, wich is a pretty good means of controlling against misbehavior, and time management.

Sharing the airtag feature is a small step forward, but so far, for our family seems to work fine as a reminder we left the keys behind, not much more, and how to spot them.

Mar 24, 2024 6:54 AM in response to Lexie_W

It’s not a design issue as you can share it through others in iOS 17.

design is well done to avoid people tracking unwilling ones.

In case of a family, we already sharing by design all gps positions through « devices » aka phone, watch and computer.

Restricting sharing « accessories » into a family doesn’t make sense at all.

as a parent, I want to be able to find kids keys attached to an AirTag

as a daughter or son, I want to be able to find their keys attached to the same AirTag.

overall, we all to avoid the unknown tracking notifications popping all the time on all devices coming from those AirTag !

Please report this use case clearly to your dev team. I already contacted Apple support and filled up a feedback.

please do the same to make this happen !

Thanks,

Nicolas

Nov 8, 2023 11:18 AM in response to Tesserax

What is the point in disallowing sharing AirTag with childrens account for parents/guardian?

In my case we have AirTag for our daughter’s pet 🐈‍⬛ which she is responsible for.

We can add AirTag either to her or our parents Apple Id account. Be we can not share it, to provide help by teaching how to take care for a pet 🤷

Another case for sharing AirTag with kids is for providing assistance to find things in cases where kids need it.

Dec 4, 2023 9:07 AM in response to Tesserax

This is rather dumb!

I can track my child's phone, and likewise they can track our phones.

I fail to see how sharing an AirTag is any different.

I cannot share the pets AirTag with our child, nor can she share her backpack tag with us, even though it is like her phone would be "in the bag" if left behind.

Maybe I'm missing something and maybe an "Apple Employee" can respond to our issue rather than someone without any capability of assisting the parents.

Oct 13, 2023 7:45 AM in response to Lexie_W

Hi Lexie_W,

Thanks for posting in Apple Support Communities.

With iOS 17 you can share the AirTag. Check that the proper steps have been used to set it up.

Share an AirTag
1. Open the Find My app N/A on your iPhone, then tap Items.
2. Tap the name of the AirTag or item you want to share, then tap Add Person below Share This AirTag (or Share This Item).
3. Enter the Apple ID of the person you want to add.
4. To add more people, tap the Add button.
5. Tap the name of the person you want to share with, then tap their Apple ID.
6. Repeat steps 3 and 4 for each person you want to add.
7. When you’re finished adding people, tap Share in the top-right corner.
8. A list of everyone you invited appears on the item’s main screen, along with the status of their invitations. 
9. When someone accepts the invitation, the shared AirTag appears in the Find My app below Items and the recipient is notified that an item is being shared with them. If someone declines the invitation, their name is removed from the list, and you no longer see it.
10. Note: You can only share an AirTag with someone who has an Apple ID. You can’t share with a child account.

Share an AirTag or other item in Find My on iPhone - Apple Support

Regards.

Dec 4, 2023 9:30 AM in response to JustLetMeSignInWithoutCreating

JustLetMeSignInWithoutCreating wrote:

Maybe I'm missing something and maybe an "Apple Employee" can respond to our issue…

People that work for Apple may or may not read postings here. Replies are rare.

To send your feedback to Apple, send it directly: Product Feedback - Apple

Apple undoubtedly has good reason for this requirement and particularly for younger kids, given their focus on privacy and personal safety.

Sharing children’s AirTags IOS17

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.