Mute Doesn't Work With Macbook and Airpods Pro 2

I'm trying to find out if this is a known issue or intended?

I have the following:

• Airpods Pro 2 with USB C
  • MacBook Pro 2.3 Ghz Qaud Core Intel i7

While I'm on a Zoom call, when I press either side of the earbud once, mute doesn't work at all. Holding it just turns Transparency mode on or off. This seems to be the case where mute doesn't work regardless of what I'm using.

What is going on?

MacBook Pro (M1, 2020)

Posted on Oct 12, 2023 10:03 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 14, 2023 6:36 AM

This functionality was part of the Sonoma announcement combined with firmware 6A300/6A301 for the AirPods but it doesn't appear to work (yet)

All I get on my MacOS devices is the "cannot control mic with AirPods" notification, yet on mobile devices the function works perfectly.

I'm now on 14.2 but still get the same notification. It would be nice if it was either acknowledged or even better, implemented, as it is a pretty useful feature to have when on a call.

22 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 14, 2023 6:36 AM in response to jefferyvma

This functionality was part of the Sonoma announcement combined with firmware 6A300/6A301 for the AirPods but it doesn't appear to work (yet)

All I get on my MacOS devices is the "cannot control mic with AirPods" notification, yet on mobile devices the function works perfectly.

I'm now on 14.2 but still get the same notification. It would be nice if it was either acknowledged or even better, implemented, as it is a pretty useful feature to have when on a call.

Oct 31, 2023 6:15 AM in response to jefferyvma

I have the same issue:

MacBook Pro M1 13" 2020 MacOS Sonoma 14.0

Airpods Pro 2 (lightning) model no: A2698, version 6A305

When I'm on a call I get the "cannot Control Mic with AirPods" notification when I press it for mute & unmute.

It does not matter which app I am using. Tested with Microsoft teams, facetime, zoom, and google call. Same issue everywhere.

The same function works perfectly with iPhone 11.

Do you have any solution?

Oct 13, 2023 12:22 PM in response to Brittany1416

Seems to happen with anything that records (I tested this by recording audio via Snagit and Slack).

From my own research, it seems maybe it's because the mute functional is on the application layer so it's has to be implemented per application. For example, my old Jabra earbuds was muted at the hardware level so when I press the mute button on the earbuds, it's literally turns off the mic within the earbuds. Therefore nothing on the MacBook gets fed audio from the earbuds.

Am I correct to say maybe that is the reason that it doesn't work? That the Airpods simply hasn't built the mute integration with Zoom and other products yet?

One last bit that might help, with my Jabra earbuds, when I press mute on them, the Zoom meeting still shows me as unmute but it just no longer picks up the mic due to it being muted physical via the earbuds. So it wasn't necessarily interacting with the application or macbook at all when I press that button.

Oct 13, 2023 12:47 PM in response to jefferyvma

Hi jefferyvma,

It appears that mute is not a function of the controls on the AirPods Pro 2nd generation. Here is a guide to the available controls:

"AirPods Pro (2nd generation) controls

The location of the Touch control on AirPods Pro (2nd generation), along the stem of each of your AirPods.

With the Touch control on the stem of both AirPods Pro (2nd generation), you can do any of the following:

• Play and pause audio: Press the stem. To resume playback, press it again.
  • Play the next track: Double-press the stem.
  • Play the previous track: Triple-press the stem.
  • Answer a call: When you receive a call, press the stem.
  • Adjust volume: Lightly swipe up or down on the stem.
  • You can also turn on Personalized Volume to automatically adjust the volume based on listening preferences and your environment. See Use Conversation Awareness, Personalized Volume, and Loud Sound Reduction with AirPods Pro (2nd generation).
  • Switch between Noise Cancellation, Transparency, and Adaptive Audio noise control modes: You can set either of your AirPods to perform this action when you press and hold the stem. See Change what the force sensor or Touch control does.
  • Activate Siri: You can set either of your AirPods to perform this action when you press and hold the stem. See Set up Siri."

AirPods controls - Apple Support

Cheers!

Oct 13, 2023 1:27 PM in response to jefferyvma

You can check your settings to see how touch controls are configured specifically for Mac:

"Change how you end a call and mute yourself with your AirPods Pro

By default, you can double-press the stem on your AirPods to end a call, and press once to mute and unmute, but you can switch these controls.

1. Wear your AirPods, and make sure they’re connected to your device.
  2. Do one of the following:
    • On iPhone or iPad: Go to Settings , then tap the name of your AirPods near the top of the screen. Tap End Call or Mute & Unmute, then choose Press Once or Press Twice. The other option automatically switches.
    • On Mac: Choose Apple menu  > System Settings, then click the name of your AirPods in the sidebar (you may need to scroll down). On the right, select an option next to “End call” or “Mute & unmute.” The other option automatically switches."

Change settings for AirPods Pro (all generations) - Apple Support

Cheers!

Oct 13, 2023 11:45 AM in response to jefferyvma

Hello jefferyvma,

Just to confirm, does this only happen when using the Zoom app, or does it happen when using other apps as well? That information will help us proceed.

If the issue only happens when using that app, we would suggest reaching out to the app developer for assistance.

This link explains how to contact an app developer, and may help: How to contact an app developer

Contact the developer of a macOS app

1. Open the App Store on your Mac.
2. Click the sign-in button  or your photo. 
3. A list of apps appears. Click the app that you want. If you can't find the app, use the search bar.
4. The app's product page appears. Click Support or App Support. If you don't see Support or App Support, make sure that you're signed in with the correct Apple ID.

Thanks!

Oct 13, 2023 1:44 PM in response to jefferyvma

Hello jefferyvma,

This resource specific to macOS Ventura doesn't list being signed into your Apple ID as a requirement for accessing those options: Use AirPods with your Mac - Apple Support

Since you are still unable to adjust the settings for your AirPods via your Mac, you'll want to reach out to Apple Support: Apple Support They'll be in the best position to look into your particular situation further.

Take care.

Mute Doesn't Work With Macbook and Airpods Pro 2

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.