Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Is WhatsApp supported on iPad?

I bought an iPad so that I could have an entree into the Apple/ios environment. Everything else for me is Windows, Chrome, Google and Android. But WhatsApp is a key part of my work. I can’t find an app for WhatsApp on iOS - is it not usable on iPad?

iPad mini 6, iPadOS 16

Posted on Oct 12, 2023 1:11 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 12, 2023 2:48 PM

This is extraordinary. Most of my communicants use Whatsapp. I haven't asked them if they use ipad, but I think some/lots of them use iphone. Does iphone support whatsapp? Certainly my android tablet has whatsapp. Being peremptorily told by apple forums to 'google whatsapp' diminishes my confidence in ios. This is the first ios device I've had. I'm getting the vibe that I'm too stupid to use ipad.

85 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 12, 2023 2:48 PM in response to JPhCZ

This is extraordinary. Most of my communicants use Whatsapp. I haven't asked them if they use ipad, but I think some/lots of them use iphone. Does iphone support whatsapp? Certainly my android tablet has whatsapp. Being peremptorily told by apple forums to 'google whatsapp' diminishes my confidence in ios. This is the first ios device I've had. I'm getting the vibe that I'm too stupid to use ipad.

Jan 16, 2024 1:13 AM in response to Andrew Denny2

Hi there,

Apologies if this has been suggested to you already.

(I read your query and thought I'd pitch in quickly to assist, but I've not looked at any of the other responses you may have received)

Ok, I was in the same spot after switching from everything Android to iPhone and iPad a year ago.

The only solution I found to successfully duplicate your iPhone WhatsApp account, to a functional client on the iPad was via WhatsApp Web.

Open your WhatsApp app on your iPhone and open the menu using the 3 little dots.

Go to SETTINGS and select LINKED DEVICES.

Now tap LINK A DEVICE.

Open SAFARI on your iPad and go to web.whatsapp.com .

The page will display a QR CODE here.

Use your iPhone to scan this code to authenticate and LINK THE DEVICES.

>>>PS: This works in just about any browser on any device instead of an iPad, including Windows, iMac, etc.<<<

Hope this helps in some way.

Cheers,

Yusuf

Dec 18, 2023 7:28 AM in response to Andrew Denny2

I currently have WhatsApp installed in the iPhone (like everyone else) and in my MacBook Pro running Sonoma (WhatsApp version 23.23.81).

Without knowing any technical details, my opinion is that WhatsApp missing on the iPad is just an Apple decision for now. As the MacBook Pro cannot handle SMS either... Too bad.. really looking forward to have in on my iPad Pro.

Oct 12, 2023 1:16 PM in response to Andrew Denny2

Whatsapp has not made a version of the app for iPad. I assume this is why:

Your phone must have SMS or call capability: To properly set up a new WhatsApp account, your phone must be able to receive SMS or calls during the verification process. We don’t support setting up new accounts on WiFi only devices.

https://faq.whatsapp.com/2366980643469578/?cms_platform=iphone&helpref=platform_switcher

No iPad is capable of receiving SMS messages.

But, you'd really need to ask Whatsapp. It's entirely up to them to support or not support iPads.

Feb 19, 2024 4:40 AM in response to Christamber

The WhatApp developers have not released an App compatible with iPad - the App being currently limited to iPhone.

Whilst the App is not available for iPad - you should be able to access the service using a web browser:

https://web.whatsapp.com/

If you would like to see a compatible App for iPad, you'll need to ask the WhatsApp Developer to create one:

How to contact an app developer - Apple Support

Is WhatsApp supported on iPad?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.