charging MacBook pro using power strip

My MacBook proʻs charger does not charge the MacBook when the charger is plugged into a power strip. A few weeks ago I bought a better quality power strip and the charger charged the MacBook for about a week. Then it stopped charging, but does charge when plugged into a wall outlet.

The power strip works fine with the charger for my iPhone and iPad.

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 13.0

Posted on Oct 12, 2023 8:45 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 12, 2023 9:06 PM

Kupanihi Said:

"charging MacBook pro using power strip: My MacBook proʻs charger does not charge the MacBook when the charger is plugged into a power strip.[...]"

-------

Mac Charging:

Assuming you taking about a surge protector, then it seems you may have too good of one. So, downgrade to one of lesser wattage...

See if anything her helps...

Troubleshooting Mac Charge:

Refer to the following....

A. Reset the SMC and your NVRAM:

(Applies to Intel-Based Macs Only): Sometimes when changes are made to the system(i.e. Updates), system configurations (i.e. for Power) become manipulated, technically. So, reset the SMC and NVRAM. Try performing each thrice. It may take sometime, being certain you have the time to perform these resets.

B. Try a New Charger:

C. A Few Links to Refer to for Power:

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 12, 2023 9:06 PM in response to Kupanihi

Kupanihi Said:

"charging MacBook pro using power strip: My MacBook proʻs charger does not charge the MacBook when the charger is plugged into a power strip.[...]"

-------

Mac Charging:

Assuming you taking about a surge protector, then it seems you may have too good of one. So, downgrade to one of lesser wattage...

See if anything her helps...

Troubleshooting Mac Charge:

Refer to the following....

A. Reset the SMC and your NVRAM:

(Applies to Intel-Based Macs Only): Sometimes when changes are made to the system(i.e. Updates), system configurations (i.e. for Power) become manipulated, technically. So, reset the SMC and NVRAM. Try performing each thrice. It may take sometime, being certain you have the time to perform these resets.

B. Try a New Charger:

C. A Few Links to Refer to for Power:

Oct 12, 2023 10:28 PM in response to Kupanihi

Kupanihi Said:

"charging MacBook pro using power strip: I did buy a new one, and the MacBook charger worked for a few weeks, and then it didnʻt. I can buy another new one, of course, but Iʻm wondering whether itʻs the charger itself or the MacBook as the MacBook did charge with both the old one and the new one - until it didnʻt."

-------

Single-Out the Method of Charging:

Save a Few: The charger works just fine plugged in to the wall. If it has issues on power strips, then that would single out a method of charging. So, try troubleshooting this, starting with three SMC and NVRAM resets (Applies to Intel-Based Macs only). Overview all that I mentioned in my above reply. If no success, then go for a new charger.

Oct 12, 2023 9:20 PM in response to Kupanihi

Thank you. It used to charge when I used my prior power strip, then it stopped charging. I bought a new power strip in case that was the problem and the MacBook charged successfully a few times, then would not. It will charge if I plug the charger into a wall outlet, but not from the power strip, although my iPad and iPhone do charge using the power strip.

charging MacBook pro using power strip

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.