Recently updated to Sonoma 14.0, now all files on my computer are gone (no files show on desktop)... how can I recover them

It worked for the first couple days... but today the files are gone

iMac 21.5″, OS X 10.11

Posted on Oct 13, 2023 7:27 AM

11 replies

Oct 13, 2023 11:33 AM in response to campe18

Go into System/Apple ID/iCloud setting pane and see if iCloud Drive is enabled. If it is click on iCloud Drive and see of Desktop and Documents is also enabled.

If they are then disable them and select the option to keep a copy on the Mac.

When upgrading to a new system often we are asked if we want to enable iCloud Drive. Many have done so automatically without considering what it means. Let's hope this is the case. 🤞

Oct 13, 2023 8:43 AM in response to campe18

Not unless you just happen to have copies somewhere or kept your data in iCloud.

Backing up is a standard practice of making automated regular copies of all your data. The built in app for that in macOS is Time Machine. It's designed to allow for recovery after things that cause data loss, but the user has to set it up and get it running.

You don't know about backing up?

Have you searched you drive with Spotlight?

Recently updated to Sonoma 14.0, now all files on my computer are gone (no files show on desktop)... how can I recover them

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.