Do I need to have a back up on iCloud and computer?

I have 59GB in my computer from a backup on September 2022. I also have iCloud backup; my question is do I need both ? How can I compare what I have if I’m able to do so. I would love to free up some space in my computer.

Posted on Oct 13, 2023 10:42 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 13, 2023 11:04 AM

Nope. Just one is needed. My recommendation is to stick with the iCloud backup as long as the size does not exceed the limits of iCloud data that you have. With your backup on your computer being 59Gb, you would most likely need to pay for a larger data plan, since only 5GB is included for the free iCloud plan. Some users do backup their photos on a computer in case they get locked out of their account. For more information on the difference between the backup methods, you can check out this support article.

Backup methods for iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch - Apple Support

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 13, 2023 11:04 AM in response to susy258

Nope. Just one is needed. My recommendation is to stick with the iCloud backup as long as the size does not exceed the limits of iCloud data that you have. With your backup on your computer being 59Gb, you would most likely need to pay for a larger data plan, since only 5GB is included for the free iCloud plan. Some users do backup their photos on a computer in case they get locked out of their account. For more information on the difference between the backup methods, you can check out this support article.

Backup methods for iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch - Apple Support

Do I need to have a back up on iCloud and computer?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.