Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

How to upgrade a new iPhone 15 to iOS 17.0.2 before setup?

I should receive a new iPhone 15 soon. How do I upgrade it to iOS 17.0.2 before going through the setup process? I need 17.0.2 so that the transfer from my old iPhone can work, but doesn't that mean it has to be on the new iPhone before I set it up?

Posted on Oct 14, 2023 12:06 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 17, 2023 12:03 AM

Good question:

Caveat: I’m not a 15 owner so am not speaking from personal experiences, but the following is excerpted from another well-respected community member’s post re: setting up a brand new iPhone 15:

Note that they started w/ the quick transfer … it asked if they “wanted” to update … to which the user HAD to reply in the affirmative.

It then updated … and then the user had to initiate a quick transfer a 2nd time.

Note too that this was an “early adopter, pre-ordered, first day of delivery user experience back on or about 9/22 … prior to the release of 17.0.3 … so Apple might have “tuned-up” this process a bit. (i.e. Today it might not even give you the opportunity to NOT update)

Also, your newer phone might actually ship w/ a newer iOS already installed.

Excerpt of 9/22 post:

• Powered on new iPhone
  • Choose language
  • Hovered new phone over old phone with the transfer “blob”
  • Phone asked if I wanted to move data over
  • Then phone prompt then announced that an update was available and asked if wanted to update
  • Manually Chose “Update”
  • Once update was complete, started the process again; hovering new phone over old phone to read the “blob”
  • Then the transfer started
5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 17, 2023 12:03 AM in response to wikeh2004

Good question:

Caveat: I’m not a 15 owner so am not speaking from personal experiences, but the following is excerpted from another well-respected community member’s post re: setting up a brand new iPhone 15:

Note that they started w/ the quick transfer … it asked if they “wanted” to update … to which the user HAD to reply in the affirmative.

It then updated … and then the user had to initiate a quick transfer a 2nd time.

Note too that this was an “early adopter, pre-ordered, first day of delivery user experience back on or about 9/22 … prior to the release of 17.0.3 … so Apple might have “tuned-up” this process a bit. (i.e. Today it might not even give you the opportunity to NOT update)

Also, your newer phone might actually ship w/ a newer iOS already installed.

Excerpt of 9/22 post:

• Powered on new iPhone
  • Choose language
  • Hovered new phone over old phone with the transfer “blob”
  • Phone asked if I wanted to move data over
  • Then phone prompt then announced that an update was available and asked if wanted to update
  • Manually Chose “Update”
  • Once update was complete, started the process again; hovering new phone over old phone to read the “blob”
  • Then the transfer started

Oct 16, 2023 6:19 PM in response to Chattanoogan

Hi Chattanoogan,

One more question. Was your advice based on using Quick Start, or another method of setting up the new iPhone? I was planning to use Quick Start, so I hope the update comes before the data transfer starts. The 17.0.2 update is supposed to fix a data transfer error during Quick Start, so I want to make sure that the new iPhone has this before I start that process.

Thanks,

Walter

How to upgrade a new iPhone 15 to iOS 17.0.2 before setup?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.