Photo Face Names

After editing and cropping a photo the face names are in the wrong place (not over the face). There is no "X" in the face name circle to deleter the face name and put it in the correct position. Nor is there a way to move a face name to the correct position.

I know how to add a face name. But how do you delete a face name?

iMac 27″ 5K, macOS 10.14

Posted on Oct 15, 2023 6:56 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 16, 2023 12:33 PM

You just have to wait for Photos to fix this automatically. When you crop or edit a photo, Photos needs to scan the photo again for faces, and sooner or later it will get around to scanning the modified photo again. There is no way to remove or reposition the faces circles that have been added automatically by Photos. Just give Photos an opportunity to do it by keeping the Mac running until all background processes have finished their work.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 16, 2023 12:33 PM in response to cooperwidman

You just have to wait for Photos to fix this automatically. When you crop or edit a photo, Photos needs to scan the photo again for faces, and sooner or later it will get around to scanning the modified photo again. There is no way to remove or reposition the faces circles that have been added automatically by Photos. Just give Photos an opportunity to do it by keeping the Mac running until all background processes have finished their work.

Oct 16, 2023 9:18 AM in response to cooperwidman

Hello cooperwidman,  

Welcome to the Apple Support Communities.  

The following Apple Support article explains how you can manage the people in your Photos library: Find and identify photos of people and pets in Photos on Mac - Apple Support

Remove a face from the People album: Scroll down below Places, then click Remove [name] from People.

When you remove a face from the People album, the original photos aren’t removed from your library.

Please reply back if you have any additional questions.

Cheers!

Oct 16, 2023 12:00 PM in response to cooperwidman

Hi there cooperwidman,

We understand what you mean. We'd suggest making sure your Mac is updated to the latest software version, which is macOS Sonoma. If needed, learn how to upgrade here: How to upgrade to macOS Sonoma - Apple Support

If this behavior persists, you'll want to reach out to Apple Support directly for further assistance. They're best-equipped to take a closer look at the issue and provide some additional guidance. This link will help you get started: Apple Support

Take care.

Oct 16, 2023 9:36 AM in response to JJRASC

I not trying to remove a face from an album.

Here is what is happening. I add a photo to the photo library. I assign names to all the faces. Then at some point I decide to crop the photo. Once cropped the face names are in the wrong place in the photo. I am unable to move the face names to the correct face NOR am I able to delete that specific face name in that specific photo because the face circle does not contain an "X". So I can't even delete the face name and create a new one in the proper place. Hopefully that makes sense for you.

Photo Face Names

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.