Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Ready for a new Mac, Currently using late 2013 iMac 27"

hello all, so im currently starting to look into a new mac, im unable to upgrade any further than 10.15.7 with my late 2013 iMac 27".

first thing i noticed on apple.com is there are no more 27" iMacs, not a big deal though. but upon first glance, it seems the new 24" iMacs are not as powerful as I would of expected, especially being 10yrs since my last mac.

it almost makes me wonder if i should just go with a MacBook pro. i do some youtube videos and recording with guitar so if anyone can offer some helpful tips in choosing the right fit, that would be wonderful.

Another thing is i don't qualify for trade in value, thats a real bummer too.

here are my current specs with my iMac now

3.5GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7

8gb 1600MHz DDR3

3.12TB Fusion Drive

Graphics NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M 4GB

Display is 2560x1440

Also, how old are the latest iMacs? looks like 2020?

iMac (M1, 2021)

Posted on Oct 15, 2023 10:31 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 15, 2023 11:46 AM

The new Silicon Macs are more powerful than the Intel models. Just make sure you get the 16GB RAM model and at least a 1TB SSD drive. The base 24" iMac doesn't have an Ethernet port so get the mid or top model (IMO). The top model has more ports than the other two.

The Mac Mini can be configured even further than the iMac. Excellent 27-32" monitors with speakers (but no camera) can be had for around $300-$400. The Mini also has the M2 CPU whereas the iMac has the M1. Nice to know if you're looking for power and speed.

If budget is not a concern the Mac Studio and Studio Display is available.

Also you can save some money by getting an Apple refurbished model. You need to look at a lot of them to find the 16 GB RAM and larger SSDs. They have a new Mac warranty.

Similar questions

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 15, 2023 11:46 AM in response to gconley

The new Silicon Macs are more powerful than the Intel models. Just make sure you get the 16GB RAM model and at least a 1TB SSD drive. The base 24" iMac doesn't have an Ethernet port so get the mid or top model (IMO). The top model has more ports than the other two.

The Mac Mini can be configured even further than the iMac. Excellent 27-32" monitors with speakers (but no camera) can be had for around $300-$400. The Mini also has the M2 CPU whereas the iMac has the M1. Nice to know if you're looking for power and speed.

If budget is not a concern the Mac Studio and Studio Display is available.

Also you can save some money by getting an Apple refurbished model. You need to look at a lot of them to find the 16 GB RAM and larger SSDs. They have a new Mac warranty.

Oct 16, 2023 1:39 AM in response to gconley

gconley wrote:

first thing i noticed on apple.com is there are no more 27" iMacs, not a big deal though. but upon first glance, it seems the new 24" iMacs are not as powerful as I would of expected, especially being 10yrs since my last mac.

Apple now sells a standalone 27" 5K Studio Display. Unfortunately, the price of that display, plus the price of an Apple keyboard and an Apple mouse, is in the territory that used to get you a 27" 5K Retina iMac. With a "small" difference: the price of the 27" 5K Retina iMac also included the computer! There are 27" 5K monitors from LG, and Samsung, but those monitors are also very expensive.

What you could do is to

• Get a M2 Pro Mac mini, M2 Max Mac Studio, or Refurbished M1 Max Mac Studio,
  • Pair it with a decent 27" 4K third-party monitor, a keyboard, and a mouse
  • Add external speakers, a Webcam, and/or a microphone (if the monitor does not provide these for you)
  • Run the monitor in Retina "like 2560x1440" mode

here are my current specs with my iMac now

3.5GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7
8gb 1600MHz DDR3
3.12TB Fusion Drive
Graphics NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M 4GB
Display is 2560x1440

You can't expand RAM on any of the Apple Silicon Macs, so I'd recommend getting at least 16 GB when you buy one, even if you have to custom-order it.

With Apple Silicon Macs, the processor chip variant (base, Pro, Max, or Ultra) affects many things:

• Available memory options
  • CPU power for doing lengthy jobs that make good use of multiple cores
  • GPU power
  • Number of expansion ports
  • Maximum number of monitors

E.g., none of the 13" MacBook Airs, 15" MacBook Airs, or 13" MacBook Pros based on the base M1 and M2 chips support more than one external monitor. Same for the 24" iMac.

None of the Macs that use the base M1 and M2 chips have more than two USB-C (Thunderbolt) ports – but those based on higher-end chips have three (14"/16" MBP), four (M2 Pro Mini, M1/M2 Max Studio), or more.

Also, how old are the latest iMacs? looks like 2020?

According to MacTracker, the final round of 27" Intel-based iMacs (now discontinued) came out in August 2020. The 24" M1 iMacs came out in May 2021.

All of the M2-series Mac minis and Mac Studios came out in 2023.

Oct 15, 2023 12:27 PM in response to gconley

Adding to Old Toad's good suggestions ... you might also check the usable screen on your 2013 27" iMac, it is probably somewhat less than 27", while the 24" has very close to 24 actual inches. So they might be closer than you think.

I got my wife a new 24" iMac and did basically what Old Toad suggested. I selected a higher end model with an ethernet wired connection, 1 TB internal SSD, and 16 GB memory. It's a Silicon iMac and is extremely fast, much faster compared to all the Intel Macs we have or have used. My experience has been when you get the lower end model, it is fine for a while but after 5 years or so you end up wishing you had gotten the more capable models.

Oct 15, 2023 1:34 PM in response to steve626

steve626 wrote:

Adding to Old Toad's good suggestions ... you might also check the usable screen on your 2013 27" iMac, it is probably somewhat less than 27", while the 24" has very close to 24 actual inches. So they might be closer than you think.

Thanks for the feedback. Learn fomenting new and useful here every day. That might swing my decision to a 24" over the Mini.

Oct 15, 2023 1:51 PM in response to Old Toad

Thanks guys. I have been reading that the current iMacs are using the M1 chips and the M2 might be coming out at some point. Might hold out until then.

i think your suggestions of going with 1Tb of storage and 16gb of ram us useful.

this new iMac is full 1080 also and Retina display. My YouTube videos will be much better.

looking forward to an updated Mac. 10yrs was a nice run.

any idea why the old one doesn’t qualify for trade in? Is it really that useless?

Oct 15, 2023 1:54 PM in response to gconley

OT is certainly correct in his suggestions and you also may want to look at the current Mac minis or even a Mac Studio if you want a 27" display. Neither devices comes with a display however there are MANY 27" displays to select from that fit all budgets.

In short you have a LOT of options open to you, all of which will be much faster than your 2013 27".

Oct 16, 2023 1:49 AM in response to gconley

gconley wrote:

this new iMac is full 1080 also and Retina display. My YouTube videos will be much better.

It has a 4.5K Retina display with 4480 x 2520 pixels.

If you're running that display at the ideal Retina setting, it will be "like 2240 x 1260" for sizing purposes. Retina-aware programs will be drawing on a canvas with twice the number of pixels in each direction, i.e., 4480 x 2520 pixels, which exactly matches the screen.

That means that an application could display UHD 4K video or perfectly scaled 1080p video in a window – with some room left for controls around the top/bottom/sides.

Ready for a new Mac, Currently using late 2013 iMac 27"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.