Why is spellcheck constantly suggesting misspelled words?

With IOS 17, spellcheck constantly suggests words that are misspelled or that don’t exist for basic words that are often spelled properly. It’s completely dysfunctional.

iPhone 8, iOS 12

Posted on Oct 16, 2023 7:46 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 23, 2024 9:42 AM

More importantly, IOS 17 is constantly trying to auto-correct words that are spelled correctly with weird words that don't exist or completely different words. There's nothing wrong with the words I'm texting but they get highlighted and suggestions made to change them.

37 replies

Dec 27, 2023 7:15 AM in response to Hawkeyed

The mistake many here are making is to suggest it is learning, will get better as it learns or is misconfigured. Even as I’m typing this note, I have reset the keyboard dictionary and disabled predictive yet it still makes terrible suggestions. Let’s be clear it’s not interpreting my inputs and suggesting wrong words, it’s suggesting words that don’t even exist or are atrociously spelled. This is clearly a defect and has been going on for an exceptional amount of time to the point I’m engaging here to find answers. So far the thread above doesn’t suggest resolutions, thus my next step is to open a ticket I suppose.

Oct 17, 2023 6:19 AM in response to Hawkeyed

Hawkeyed Said:

Already read this article. It just tells you how to use the features. It does not tell you how to fix a spell check program that makes up words and that gives you misspelled options for correctly spelled words.”

———-

This is the first report I’ve seen of this. So, most certainly inform Apple of this.

Do your Part: Provide Apple with feedback on this, letting them know about this issue.  Apple may not get back to you directly, but the more feedback they receive on this, the more they will know what is occurring, and what bug fixes to include in updates to come. Apple will know nothing of this, if you don't report it to them.

1. Go Here: Feedback - iPhone - Apple
  2. Select: "Bug Report" for the "Feedback Type"
  3. Comment: that this all began after installing an update. Include the URL of this thread
  4. Proceed from there as necessary

Feb 15, 2024 5:01 AM in response to Jcornelio1

To get rid of those silly balloons with misspelled words, turn off “Show Predictions Inline”.

General -> Keyboards -> toggle off “Show Predictions Inline”. This setting is visible only if you have “Predictive Text” active (green). Both these settings should be “turned off” (greyed out).

The last step is to “Reset the Keyboard”: General -> Transfer or Reset iPhone -> Reset -> Reset Keyboard Dictionary -> ENTER PIN -> Reset Dictionary.

You will need to reset the keyboard periodically as Apple, for unknown reasons, maintains all keyboard errors. I believe that is why all these balloons pop-ups occur. It is probably an anomaly that Apple should correct.

I hope these steps help all the persons encountering this issue.

Oct 21, 2023 12:48 PM in response to Mrbeyer1

Mrbeyer1 Said:

This beyond frustrating. The unique thing is that there bad spelling balloons always a back-turn arrow after them. PLEASE FIX THIS.

———-

Thank you for the screenshot.

Turn Off Predictive Text:

This all has to do with predictive text, and learning spelling. As you type more and lose, you — as a user of your device — make spelling corrections. So predictive text is somehow seeing that you frequently correct the work for “back”

for “Bach”.

1. Go to: Settings
  2. Tap: General
  3. Tap: Keyboard
  4. Tap: Predictive (so that it is green)

Overview this Link: How to Use Auto-Correction and Predictive Text on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

Apr 26, 2024 4:00 AM in response to Hawkeyed

So nobody has found a solution?? This thing is starting to make me question my ability to spell! I had typed “Definitely” and it got underlined in red and the keyboard suggested “Definetely” which when clicked replaced the correct word and removed the red line making you think it’s correct. It keeps happening with words I definitely know how to spell like “independent” or “bananas”.

Oct 21, 2023 10:53 PM in response to Mrbeyer1

Mrbeyer1 Said:

"Yes. The answer i was given was a non-answer. I am supposed to hang in there with predictive text until it learns how i type??? i just turned off predictive text and it still is doing it!"

-------

Update...

Troubleshooting Auto-Correction Update Issue:

It's a bug in the update, and it is catching on in these forums. Question is: "Just how many people have actually reported this to Apple?" Se this Thread: how do i turn off the new auto correction update - Apple Support

Report this to Apple...

Do your Part: Provide Apple with feedback on this, letting them know about this issue.  Apple may not get back to you directly, but the more feedback they receive on this, the more they will know what is occurring, and what bug fixes to include in updates to come. Apple will know nothing of this, if you don't report it to them.

1. Go Here: Feedback - iPhone - Apple
  2. Select: "Bug Report" for the "Feedback Type"
  3. Comment: that this all began after installing an update. Include the URL of this thread
  4. Proceed from there as necessary

Oct 16, 2023 7:58 PM in response to Hawkeyed

Hawkeyed Said:

"With IOS 17, spellcheck constantly suggests words that are misspelled or that don’t exist for basic words that are often spelled properly. It’s completely dysfunctional."

-------

Considered Disabling Spell Features?:

Disable Two Things: How to Use Auto-Correction and Predictive text on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

Why is spellcheck constantly suggesting misspelled words?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.