Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

iPhone stolen and now I am getting texts of the new owner

i got my iphone 13 stolen. we reported it to the authorities but nothing was done even if they new the location. spoke to apple support in the store and they just told me to lock the phone and reported as lost under "Find My".

Today i received a message from an iCloud account saying that he bought a phone from someone and that it has all my information. He sent me a text via i cloud so i could not see the number.

i also got a text from 31*****557 saying that my iphone has been found with a link to check the location. which i did not open.

i need help on how to proceed. the Apple support person ensured me that no one was able to access m y information since the phone was reported as lost.

[Edited by Moderator]

iPhone 13 Pro

Posted on Oct 16, 2023 8:03 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 16, 2023 10:34 PM

David4043 Said:

"iPhone stolen and now I am getting texts of the new owner: We went to the apple store and reported all of this. We did what they told us to do. And now this is happening"

-------

Give Apple Support a Call:

Sometimes, talking over-the-hone is a bit more productive. At the Apple Store, it's busy in there, and interactions aren so persistent, and get blown off. While on the phone, however, it a more person-to-person interaction. So, call them. While on the phone, screenshare your iPhone's iSight Camera by hovering it over things to prove to them what is going on. Here is my User Tip: Screenshare your iPhone with the Camera App Enabled to Easily Converse Over-the-Phone with Apple Support - User Tip

Why to Call Apple Support:

On the phone, your talk can go way up there to a Senior Advisor and things can be investigated with proof, such as screenshots and screen recording. It's all about getting the scammers reported.

Apple Support Contact Us Info:

• Contact Us - Choose Locations
  • Proceed from there as necessary
  • Note: Phone calls are taking a bit to go through at the moment, due to lots of calls. With the Coronavirus Pandemic, many are at home at the moment, with much time on their hands to contact Apple. So, just stay on the line, and you will get through, sure enough.

Similar questions

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 16, 2023 10:34 PM in response to David4043

David4043 Said:

"iPhone stolen and now I am getting texts of the new owner: We went to the apple store and reported all of this. We did what they told us to do. And now this is happening"

-------

Give Apple Support a Call:

Sometimes, talking over-the-hone is a bit more productive. At the Apple Store, it's busy in there, and interactions aren so persistent, and get blown off. While on the phone, however, it a more person-to-person interaction. So, call them. While on the phone, screenshare your iPhone's iSight Camera by hovering it over things to prove to them what is going on. Here is my User Tip: Screenshare your iPhone with the Camera App Enabled to Easily Converse Over-the-Phone with Apple Support - User Tip

Why to Call Apple Support:

On the phone, your talk can go way up there to a Senior Advisor and things can be investigated with proof, such as screenshots and screen recording. It's all about getting the scammers reported.

• Note: Phone calls are taking a bit to go through at the moment, due to lots of calls. With the Coronavirus Pandemic, many are at home at the moment, with much time on their hands to contact Apple. So, just stay on the line, and you will get through, sure enough.

Oct 16, 2023 8:36 PM in response to David4043

David4043 Said:

"iPhone stolen and now I am getting texts of the new owner"

-------

Troubleshooting a Stollen iPhone:

I would suggest (A)contacting Apple Support, (B)locking your iPhone, and (C) securing you info...

A. Contacting Apple Support:

Provide them with the eMail address. iCloud is Apple's domain. Provide them with the screenshots you provided.

Locking your Phone:

They are interring you about Find My. So, is Find My enabled on this iPhone? If not, then you are out of luck. So, contact your Carrier, and have them cancel the plan of this stolen phone. Go here: If your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch is Lost or Stolen - Apple Support

C. Securing your Info:

Being device access is of high-concern here, (A)verify your devices, then (B)modify your credentials:

A. Verify your Devices:

Verify that all devices are logged in to your account, by using this link: Check your Apple ID Device List to See where you're Signed in - Apple Support

then...

B. Modify your Credentials:

Having been stollen, someone lily has your credentials. So, by all means, modifying them.

Oct 16, 2023 8:33 PM in response to David4043

Do not click on that link. That message from "Apple Support" is a "phishing" scam message.

Criminals will often contact the owners of lost / stolen phones, claiming to be from "Apple Support" (or the like) and claiming that they want to reunite the owner with the lost phone.

What they really want to do is to get you to

• Release Activation Lock,
  • Give them the credentials that they need to release Activation Lock,
  • Let them into your phone and Apple ID account, and/or
  • Give them the information they need to scam you in other ways

If you release Activation Lock (by taking the phone off of the list of devices associated with your Apple ID) – or give them the credentials needed to release it, they can "make your phone their own".

Even if this iPhone was your only Apple device, you can check Find My for yourself by logging into the iCloud Web interface: https://www.icloud.com/

The link in that "phishing" scam message is not there to help you recover your phone, but to help scam you in some way. Don't take the bait, don't bite on the hook (link), and don't be a "phish"!

Oct 16, 2023 9:44 PM in response to David4043

David4043 Said:

"There is no location anymore. Is almost as if the phone has been off. The report as stolen/lost is still on. The notified me when found is still on. is been about 4 months now."

-------

Contact Apple Support:

You should have posted this 4 months ago. From what you have reported, Find My was apparently turned off --and for someone to have done that, they person would have to know your PIN for the iPhone. So, secure your account info --change your Apple ID (create an use a new eMail Address for your Apple Account) and crease a new password. All of which I mentioned in my pious reply. So, is it seen here?:  Check your Apple ID Device List to See where you're Signed in - Apple Support

iPhone stolen and now I am getting texts of the new owner

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.