Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

MacOS Sonoma install 14 has created problems for my once fine working Macbook air M1

PLEASE HELP!

I installed Sonoma last night on my 13 inch macbook air M1 (which was working perfectly fine before) and it appeared to install properly. I used the laptop later that night and a few minutes the following morning...then all havoc broke loose. I went thru the tip for the Sonoma upgrades and then went to appearance and was looking at different wallpapers and brightness. Then the screen went black but I could tell that it was still working and was backlit as was the keyboard. I powered off with the power key and tried to power back on in safe mode. Screen was still not working. I can use the laptop now only with an external monitor. I can't get it to power back up in safe or recovery mode by holding down the power key while plugged in. I want to reinstall Sonoma to see if it will fix the screen problem but it won't go into recovery mode. My brightness is turned up, I've checked all the things I found on all the boards. I am seeing other wonky issues such as not remembering userids and passwords that I've double checked in keychain. Another weird issue is when the power is off and I remove plug in the power cord it restarts or quickstarts on it's own.

My laptop is now ruined from an Apple OS install. What the heck, this is not good. Please help!

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 14.0

Posted on Oct 17, 2023 1:28 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 17, 2023 7:05 PM

Although you may have already seen this Apple Support article, if you haven't followed all the steps in it, please see if it helps with your issue: If your Mac doesn't turn on - Apple Support

Similar questions

2 replies

Oct 17, 2023 6:27 PM in response to TJACK_apple

PLEASE HELP!

I installed Sonoma last night on my 13 inch macbook air M1 (which was working perfectly fine before) and it appeared to install properly. I used the laptop later that night and a few minutes the following morning...then all havoc broke loose. I went thru the tip for the Sonoma upgrades and then went to appearance and was looking at different wallpapers and brightness. Then the screen went black but I could tell that it was still working and was backlit as was the keyboard. I powered off with the power key and tried to power back on in safe mode. Screen was still not working. I can use the laptop now only with an external monitor. I can't get it to power back up in safe or recovery mode by holding down the power key while plugged in. I want to reinstall Sonoma to see if it will fix the screen problem but it won't go into recovery mode. My brightness is turned up, I've checked all the things I found on all the boards. I am seeing other wonky issues such as not remembering userids and passwords that I've double checked in keychain. Another weird issue is when the power is off and I remove or plug in the power cord it restarts or quickstarts on it's own.

My laptop is now ruined from an Apple OS install. What the heck, this is not good. Please help!

MacOS Sonoma install 14 has created problems for my once fine working Macbook air M1

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.