Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

apple tv audio on main speakers stops

Today, my Apple TV 4K stopped playing audio to the main tv output. Audio to home pods still works. Then with no intervention it sometimes would start up for a while and then shut down. A software update was installed overnight and this is the first time that I used it after the update.

Apple TV 4K, tvOS 17

Posted on Oct 17, 2023 1:02 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 20, 2023 1:40 PM

Mklybor,

Thanks for providing us with those details. rest jog isolating the issue. The following steps may help to correct the behavior or allow you to verify the root cause of the issue:

1. Test to see if the behavior is output type specific (such as Stereo, Dolby Digital 5.1/7.1, Dolby Atmos, etc.).

2. Be sure your TV  has the most current software or firmware update. (You may need to refer the manual or manufacture for assistance).

3. Reset Apple TV and test the issue again.

If you continue to experience the same behavior, we suggest that you reach out to Apple directly. They will be able to look further into this with you: Get Support

Best wishes.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 20, 2023 1:40 PM in response to mklybor

Mklybor,

Thanks for providing us with those details. rest jog isolating the issue. The following steps may help to correct the behavior or allow you to verify the root cause of the issue:

1. Test to see if the behavior is output type specific (such as Stereo, Dolby Digital 5.1/7.1, Dolby Atmos, etc.).

2. Be sure your TV  has the most current software or firmware update. (You may need to refer the manual or manufacture for assistance).

3. Reset Apple TV and test the issue again.

If you continue to experience the same behavior, we suggest that you reach out to Apple directly. They will be able to look further into this with you: Get Support

Best wishes.

Oct 20, 2023 1:23 PM in response to Chris_D13

No this isn't a connection issue.

Here is the latest behavior:

• after a TV restart, Apple Music started working fine for a couple of days
  • audio from Apple Music spontaneously stopped a few minutes ago after it had been playing for a few hours
  • no audio from TV+ either
  • another restart
  • audio from Apple Music started working again
  • system tones (browsing menus etc.) work over mains
  • still no audio from TV+
  • another restart
  • still no audio from TV+
  • audio from other TV apps (e.g., CNBC, AMC) working fine
  • apple music audio continuing to work (for now...)
  • a recollection from a few weeks ago is that we had similar problems with HULU, i ended up bringing the remote HomePod into the TV room so that we could hear it. but then it started working again over the mains.
  • as of right now, Apple Music audio works to the mains, other video apps' audio works to the mains, TV+ does not. all going the same HDMI. all work to the HomePods.

it seems that a system restart has some effect on the problem, but even. that can't seem to get TV+ working to the mains

I hadn't tried TV+ until today as I seldom watch it, so I don't know how long its audio hasn't been working properly

setup configuration:

HDMI video and audio output to home theatre receiver (Onkyo). this setup has worked flawlessly for years until now

2 remote home pod minis (which continue to work fine at this time, and always work even when the main TV audio goes out, never a problem with them)

audio output switching via the audio control panel on the Apple TV, amongst mains and 2 HomePods

thanks for your assistance

Oct 18, 2023 10:55 AM in response to mklybor

Hello mklybor,

To help troubleshoot connection issues, test the behavior with a different HDMI cable. Additionally, test after unplugging your Apple TV for 30 seconds and then plugging it back in. These steps may help to clear up unexpected behavior.

If the issue persists, let us know the set up configuration you're using with your HomePod, Apple TV and TV, and how you're managing and switching the audio output. These details may help the community respond with further troubleshooting.

Kind regards.

Oct 20, 2023 2:00 PM in response to mklybor

and we have a winner, thanks!

the only audio formats I see on Apple TV are dolby 5.1 and stereo

I had it set to "auto". just guessing that whenever any 5.1 content is being played it isn't working. and the system restart cleared the issue.

but tv+ is 5.1 content, so it would never work

when I set to stereo, all is working.

not as serious of an issue, now I just lose the wonderful home theatre audio effects

I don't see any other format choices. no dolby atmos, etc.

any ideas of how to get 5.1 working again?

apple tv audio on main speakers stops

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.