Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

ios 17 Can't move or copy photos to PC

Since installing ios 17 on my 14 pro I can't move or copy photos to my PC. It stops part way, it changes the numbers on the photos and it leaves place markers instead of a picture. I have to reboot the phone several times to get things moved. After a couple it says the data is not valid on the phone until I reboot it. And it corrupted some pictures to where I couldn't recover them.

iPhone 14 Pro, iOS 17

Posted on Oct 17, 2023 1:09 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 24, 2024 4:45 AM

If apple don’t change their policy and continue to make it more difficult to download pictures I’m moving from apple we don’t need all this hassle

Similar questions

23 replies

Apr 8, 2024 5:17 PM in response to MikeCow1

Having the same issue as well.

Just wasted an hour as thought the issue was my PC or cable set-up.

Would not have upgraded to IOS17 if I had known this was going to be an issue!

Tried using Windows 11 Photo as recommended in thread but this is so cumbersome.

Don't know why Apple is trying to make their product worse!!

Might be time to look at other brands!!

Jan 28, 2024 8:29 AM in response to MikeCow1

From reading Jeff_888's reply, it seems that Apple knows about this issue and have chosen to make people go through the Photos app on Windows (or whatever the process is on a Mac). If you do this, you have to import several times before all the images show up.

I have no idea why they would trade this simple functionality for something less convenient.

Nov 27, 2023 11:28 AM in response to thogan-

I found that although I can't copy photos from my iPhone 12 Pro with ios 17 to my tower PC with Windows 10 anymore, I can copy photos from my iPhone to my laptop with same version of Windows 10. Before I update to ios 17 I copy photos to both Windows 10 computers. I called Apple support but they were not able to help.

Oct 18, 2023 10:54 AM in response to MikeCow1

Hey MikeCow1,

You can see the steps to import photos from your iPhone to PC here:

If these are the steps you're following and it fails, we'd recommend first backing up your iPhone to safeguard your data:

Then, test with a different Lightning cable and USB port on your PC. Also, if you're not plugged right int the computer and can, then we'd advise bypassing any hub or adapters.

Let us know the results from there.

Cheers!

Dec 14, 2023 8:54 AM in response to tonymarcus

I'm having a similar issue after upgrading to IOS17, phone transfer from my i13 promax to my pc is failing to initiate (hanging up on "we sent a notification to your device to connect") but no notification is actually sent. Occasionally it does proceed to loading pictures, but only finds a few of the photos on the device and hangs up. I am following the official procedure using windows photos.

Oct 24, 2023 8:27 AM in response to Jeff_888

Hi Apple support team,

I have same issue as this case. I tried on different iphone(iphone 12 and iphone 14 pro max), both iphone have upgraded to latest IOS 17.0.3, and tried with two different genuine cables, but same results. I can't drag and drop picture file from phone to windows PC as before. it's must be some changes after upgrade to new IOS17 as I didn't have this issue before(with same PC and same cables). Or any new settings changed after upgrade? Please fix it.

one more issue is I can't directly open those photo file in windows file Explorer as below snapshot, it always tell the phone is busy and another application are using the device..I don't have this issue before.

Dec 19, 2023 2:15 PM in response to MikeCow1

got the same issue - everytime the import fails.

iOS 17.1.2 - iPhone 15Pro - Windows 10 on a MacBook Pro

tried several usb / usbc Cables.

Try

1. Go to Settings and select Photos on your iPhone.

2. Choose Keep Originals in the TRANSFER TO MAC OR PC section.

Source: https://www.ubackup.com/phone-backup/import-iphone-photos-to-pc-something-went-wrong.html

ios 17 Can't move or copy photos to PC

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.