Differences in AirPlay Screen Mirroring Icons?

What are the differences in icons between the Apple TV (Airplay) devices vs. the simple 'display' icon in the Screen Mirroring menu (underlined in red in the screenshot)?

We have multiple Apple TV and AirPlay-capable TVs. One TV, in particular, shows up as a different icon, and we have a significant lagging issue mirroring this specific TV from iPhone, iPad or Mac. No issue with Miracasting from Windows/Androids.

What's odd is that we have the same TV model in adjacent rooms, and they show up with Apple TV icons and not 'display' icons, and have no issues mirroring from Apple devices.

I'm curious to know the differences in icons, and hopefully I can narrow down the issue before deciding to factory reset the TV.

iPad Pro (6th generation)

Posted on Oct 17, 2023 4:01 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 18, 2023 5:57 AM

The Apple TV icon references an Apple TV box.

The TV screen icon references a smart TV that is officially AirPlay-enabled (with that function activated).

Is that different for your situation?

Not sure if third party HDMI streaming devices, that support AirPlay, have a separate icon?

Compatible Macs would also have a distinct icon, if found locally.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 18, 2023 5:57 AM in response to n003

The Apple TV icon references an Apple TV box.

The TV screen icon references a smart TV that is officially AirPlay-enabled (with that function activated).

Is that different for your situation?

Not sure if third party HDMI streaming devices, that support AirPlay, have a separate icon?

Compatible Macs would also have a distinct icon, if found locally.

Oct 20, 2023 4:32 PM in response to Urquhart1244

Thanks Urquhart1244, you are right! What I didn't realize is all other TVs had physical Apple TV boxes hidden behind the TV.

The one with the 'dispalay' icon was AirPlay-enabled TV, and that was the only TV that was on wireless network, and the other TVs had Ethernet cables plugged into them. Wired and wireless networks were on different subnets, so Apple devices on wireless network did not see the TV.

Thanks again as I can now see that the issue is with the OLED LG TV's implemantation of the AirPlay as I get the same lagging issues once I put other LG TVs on wireless network and mirror the screen directly.

Differences in AirPlay Screen Mirroring Icons?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.