Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

server login local computer error msg for SPSS statistics v 29

Hey there!

I recently updated to Mac OS Sonoma and can't open SPSS statistics any more after that. I tried reinstall SPSS and still can't launch the app, with the same error msg "server login local computer". Does anyone have the same issue? Or solutions to fix this problem?

Many thanks!

J

iMac 24″, macOS 14.0

Posted on Oct 18, 2023 10:08 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 29, 2023 12:42 PM

i've checked many pages to find the solution. This link will lead anyone with the same problem to solve the issue. Just follow the link and do 5 mentioned simple steps.

https://servicedesk.msstate.edu/TDClient/45/Portal/KB/ArticleDet?ID=2016

1. Download the libplatdeb.dylib file linked on this page.

2. Close all instances of SPSS.

3. Navigate to "/Applications/IBM SPSS Statistics/SPSS Statistics.app/Contents/lib/". You can do this by opening your Applications folder, opening the IBM SPSS Statistics folder, right-clicking on SPSS Statistics, clicking "Show Package Contents", opening the Contents folder, then opening the lib folder. 

4. Copy the libplatdeb.dylib file you downloaded in step 1 to this folder, replacing the existing file, when prompted.

5. Run SPSS 29 again, and it should launch successfully.

49 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 29, 2023 12:42 PM in response to jessDu

i've checked many pages to find the solution. This link will lead anyone with the same problem to solve the issue. Just follow the link and do 5 mentioned simple steps.

https://servicedesk.msstate.edu/TDClient/45/Portal/KB/ArticleDet?ID=2016

1. Download the libplatdeb.dylib file linked on this page.

2. Close all instances of SPSS.

3. Navigate to "/Applications/IBM SPSS Statistics/SPSS Statistics.app/Contents/lib/". You can do this by opening your Applications folder, opening the IBM SPSS Statistics folder, right-clicking on SPSS Statistics, clicking "Show Package Contents", opening the Contents folder, then opening the lib folder. 

4. Copy the libplatdeb.dylib file you downloaded in step 1 to this folder, replacing the existing file, when prompted.

5. Run SPSS 29 again, and it should launch successfully.

Nov 8, 2023 4:05 AM in response to jessDu

You need to open SPSS from the application menu. I get there like this:

• click on finder
  • from the menu on the left, location application (you might need to google how to find "application menu" if you don't already see it on the left after you click finder.

Then you need to:

• locate the folder named IBM SPSS
  • click into it. Then you should see the icon for SPSS.
  • use your mouse/track pad to right click on the SPSS icon. You should be able to see a pop-up menu. One of them says Show package content. Select this option. This is how you open the SPSS folder.
  • You'll see the content folder. Click into it.

Then you should be able to see quite a number of sub-folders there. There is a lib folder there. Click into it and the old file is there. Replace the old file with the new file from the fix pack.

Nov 13, 2023 2:22 PM in response to Johannaptnk21

Hi, if you're still struggling (like I did for days stressing about dissertation) I found a helpful YouTube video that guided steps as others are saying. For me it helped to see: first you locate the "libplatdep.dylib" file from the original spss contents_lib folder, move it to desktop for backup, then moving the "libplatdep.dylib" you dowloaded into that spss contents_lib folder. then you can open spss, select local desktop.

If you watch from 2:53 on it's very helpful! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a9c9x6w7uTc&ab_channel=CarletoniTeam

good luck!

Nov 5, 2023 12:59 PM in response to sem40

I got lost after Step 2

Installation instructions

=========================

1. Products affected: Statistics 29.0, 29.0.1, and 29.0.1.1

Platforms affected: MacOSX

2. The related defect id(s):

#7198 SPSS Stats Doesn't Run on MacOS Sonoma

3. Affected Files:

The attached interim fix zip file contains the following:

libplatdep.dylib

readme.txt (this file)

4. This interim fix can be applied to Statistics 29.0.0.0, 29.0.1.0 and 29.0.1.1

5. How to apply the hot fix:

1) Close all instances of Statistics 29 Desktop

2) Navigate to the ../lib subdirectory in the Statistics 29 Desktop installation path.

(e.g. "/Applications/IBM SPSS Statistics/SPSS Statistics.app/Contents/lib/")

3) Locate the following file and back it up to a separate folder, such as your Desktop.

"libplatdep.dylib"

4) Copy the following interim fix files to the 29 installation folder located in step 3.

"libplatdep.dylib"

5) Make sure the installed files have correct permissions (e.g. chmod 755)

6. IBM SPSS Statistics 29 is now ready to be used.

Nov 10, 2023 6:16 PM in response to maysih

I'm sorry I'm not familiar with the steps to fix SPSS v27.

But I suggest you to to go IBM website, using the same link I posted earlier, to see if there is a fix file for v27. Then open read me file, follow the steps outlined there. If you can't find the specific SPSS folder mentioned in the Read me file, please review the step by step instruction I posted on 8Nov. Hopefully that helps.

Nov 15, 2023 6:18 AM in response to KarmaCD

I don't get this. I've read everything. I also am stumped after step 2 because there are no "content" folders.

/Applications/IBM SPSS Statistics/SPSS Statistics.app/Contents/lib/")

I can't find such a folder. I can find a "resources" and "activation" folder, but not contents. Tried unhidding files, but that didn't show anything different.

So typical IBM to f this up.

Someone have any quick guidance on this?

Nov 15, 2023 6:25 AM in response to watsonfromarlington

Figured this out by understanding how to unpack the contents of the SPSS Statistics.app file (right click, Show Package Contents). Then it was easy.

IBM, put this in your Read Me file. Second, don't let this crap happen again. Be like other software companies and have automatic download fixes instead of making us do the dirty work where it is so easy to mess it up and cause other problems.

server login local computer error msg for SPSS statistics v 29

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.