Newsroom Update

The redesigned iPad Air and new iPad Pro with Apple silicon are now available. Learn more >

Can I leave iPad plugged in?

Can I leave iPad plugged in? Unplugging about every 2 weeks, is that better on the battery or is it better to leave it plugged in? It’s wall mounted in my home.

iPad mini, iOS 12

Posted on Oct 19, 2023 6:09 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 20, 2023 4:46 AM

Your iPad will suffer no ill effects through being connected to its Power Adapter for extended periods. Your iPad will automatically regulate and optimise charging - and will not overcharge the battery. 

When used in kiosk or similar applications - where external power is connected for extended periods of time - the iPad may modify its charging strategy and limit battery charge to ~80% of maximum. This modified charging strategy is designed to reduce chemical ageing that might otherwise occur if 100% charge is maintained at all times.

Nominal 100% charging will be restored when a normal charge/discharge routine is restored.

More information about iPad’s battery management can be found here:

About iPad and iPhone Charge Management Feature – Apple Support

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 20, 2023 4:46 AM in response to Jersey79

Your iPad will suffer no ill effects through being connected to its Power Adapter for extended periods. Your iPad will automatically regulate and optimise charging - and will not overcharge the battery. 

When used in kiosk or similar applications - where external power is connected for extended periods of time - the iPad may modify its charging strategy and limit battery charge to ~80% of maximum. This modified charging strategy is designed to reduce chemical ageing that might otherwise occur if 100% charge is maintained at all times.

Nominal 100% charging will be restored when a normal charge/discharge routine is restored.

More information about iPad’s battery management can be found here:

About iPad and iPhone Charge Management Feature – Apple Support

Can I leave iPad plugged in?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.