imac Target Display mode

Currently I have 2020 macbook pro m1 can I use 2015 imac 4k 21.5” as a secondary screen for macbook? If it isn’t possible. Can you let me know which imac models and sizes are compatible to used as a secondary monitor for my macbook.

Posted on Oct 20, 2023 4:28 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 20, 2023 6:03 PM

Unfortunately, none of the iMac models are compatible to use as a secondary monitor for your MacBook.

Target Display mode was only supported on iMac hardware released between 2009 and 2014.

Software support finally ended with the release of macOS 11 Big Sur.

Use your iMac as a display with target display mode - Apple Support

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 20, 2023 6:03 PM in response to sathsara1357

Unfortunately, none of the iMac models are compatible to use as a secondary monitor for your MacBook.

Target Display mode was only supported on iMac hardware released between 2009 and 2014.

Software support finally ended with the release of macOS 11 Big Sur.

Use your iMac as a display with target display mode - Apple Support

Oct 20, 2023 6:12 PM in response to sathsara1357

All 27" 2.5K iMacs, and some early 24" 1080p iMacs, can run in Target Display Mode.

But …

• Target Display Mode went away for good when the first 27" 5K Retina iMac came out in Late 2014.
  • No Retina iMac, including your 21.5" 4K Retina iMac, supports it.
  • Even if you had an iMac that supported Target Display Mode, Apple added restrictions on "the other Mac" that would prevent your M1 MacBook Pro from taking advantage of that.

imac Target Display mode

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.