Newsroom Update

Tap to Pay on iPhone is now available in Canada. Learn more >

Related Article: Apple security releases

My iPhone is stuck on preparing update but won’t update

I try to update my phone cause it hasn’t done it for the automatic updates. So I’m trying to manually do it but it won’t update and only freezes on the preparing to update text

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

iPhone XR, iOS 15

Posted on Oct 20, 2023 4:46 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 20, 2023 5:38 PM

Preparing to update can take a while. 30 minutes would not be unusual, and it also needs to meet a list of requirements. To update over the air from the phone all of these requirements must be met:

• To update over the air from the phone all of these requirements must be met:
  • You need at least 10 GB of free storage for iOS 16 and later or 6 GB for iOS 15 or lower; more is better
  • You must be connected to a Wi-Fi network (and not a personal hotspot)
  • The phone must be charged to at least 50%, and preferably plugged in so it stays above 50% during the update
  • The phone must not be in Low Power Mode
  • The phone must not be connected through VPN, and it may be necessary to delete any VPN apps and VPN profiles
  • The phone cannot be in Airplane mode and must have a cellular data connection
  • You cannot still have a beta of a previous version installed on the phone
  • You cannot have a previous version that was downloaded, but not installed - go to Settings/General/iPhone Storage to look; if you find an iOS installer, delete it

If you can't meet all of them you can still update using your computer.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 20, 2023 5:38 PM in response to Yeyeisaac

Preparing to update can take a while. 30 minutes would not be unusual, and it also needs to meet a list of requirements. To update over the air from the phone all of these requirements must be met:

• To update over the air from the phone all of these requirements must be met:
  • You need at least 10 GB of free storage for iOS 16 and later or 6 GB for iOS 15 or lower; more is better
  • You must be connected to a Wi-Fi network (and not a personal hotspot)
  • The phone must be charged to at least 50%, and preferably plugged in so it stays above 50% during the update
  • The phone must not be in Low Power Mode
  • The phone must not be connected through VPN, and it may be necessary to delete any VPN apps and VPN profiles
  • The phone cannot be in Airplane mode and must have a cellular data connection
  • You cannot still have a beta of a previous version installed on the phone
  • You cannot have a previous version that was downloaded, but not installed - go to Settings/General/iPhone Storage to look; if you find an iOS installer, delete it

If you can't meet all of them you can still update using your computer.

My iPhone is stuck on preparing update but won’t update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.