Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

The redesigned iPad Air and new iPad Pro with Apple silicon are now available. Learn more >

iPad Pro 11 battery cycle count showing zero

After using my iPad Pro 11 for more than a year, I am experiencing battery problems. The iPad would suddenly switch off and then restart on its own but the battery icon would show as red and when checked in battery settings it would show as last charged to 1%. The system will work for a couple of mins and then would switch off by itself and then restart. After sometime the battery icon on the screen was visible with 68%.

I downloaded the battery status shortcut and when checked in analytics file, I was able to see everything as zero. Attached is the file.

Can someone let me know if I need to get the battery replaced? The apple service center is denying to replace battery saying that it cannot be done for iPad Pro and I need to exchange to a new one. I seriously don’t have that much cash to spend.

Appreciate all the help.

iPad Pro, iPadOS 17

Posted on Oct 20, 2023 9:39 PM

Similar questions

3 replies

Oct 21, 2023 4:48 AM in response to chandrakanth0707

The battery health feature is exclusive to iOS for iPhone. iOS/iPadOS for iPad has never had the Battery Health feature - most likely because iPad batteries are both considerably larger and have a much longer service life. 

An iPad battery is rated to maintain at least 80% of its initial capacity after 1000 full charge/discharge cycles - whereas an iPhone is rated to have 80% of initial capacity after 500 full cycles.

Using unsupported methods to access the battery cycle count - such as using third-party Shortcuts to read data from Analytics files - may at best be unreliable, if they work at all. System software updates may change the format and content of Analytics data, requiring appropriate update of associated Shortcuts.

There are however third-party software packages for Windows PC and Mac that can access battery cycle count. Popular choices for Mac are Coconut Battery and iMazing - whereas iMazing is available for PC.

https://www.coconut-flavour.com/coconutbattery/

As described, your iPad battery may have a fault, or may be reaching the end of its usable life. If the battery has failed or is failing, the iPad may unexpectedly turn-off - or may not successfully boot to a running state even when connected to its Power Adapter.

Are you able to use the iPad while remaining connected to your Power Adapter? If yes, while monitoring the indicated battery state, disconnect the Power Adapter; if the indicated battery state suddenly falls, or the iPad shuts-off, this test demonstrates the iPad battery having reached the end of its usable life:

iPad Repair & Service - Apple Support

If you continue to experience difficulties, you will need to seek assistance directly from from Apple Support. You can contact the Support Team using the Support link at top-right or bottom-left of this page. Alternatively, you can initiate and manage your support cases using the excellent Apple Support App. If not already installed on your iPad, the App can be downloaded from the App Store:

https://apps.apple.com/gb/app/apple-support/id1130498044

You might also visit the Genius Bar at your local Apple Store or Apple Authorised Service Provider (AASP) - where the technicians will be able to test and assess your iPad:

Genius Bar Reservation and Apple Support Options - Apple

Oct 26, 2023 2:11 AM in response to chandrakanth0707

Your description makes very clear that your iPad or its battery is likely to have a fault that requires professional assessment with appropriate diagnostic tools.

You would be well advised to visit the Genius Bar at your local Apple Store or Apple Authorised Service Provider (AASP) - where the technicians will be able to hands-on test and assess your iPad - and you can explore your available options:

Genius Bar Reservation and Apple Support Options - Apple

Oct 26, 2023 1:01 AM in response to LotusPilot

Thank you for the reply. However, before visiting apple support for repair and replacement, I wish to know a few things.

1) The battery suddenly drops to zero, but I will be able to use it for a few minutes only (even though connected to charger). It reboots and then again, I can use for another few minutes and this continues.

2) Suddenly the iPad showed 50% and I was able to get the stats (using iMazing on PC). However, it shows Battery design max charge as 0 mAh and it says health as average. Attached screen shot.

3) Again the iPad went off and when it started I did a factory reset but with no use. The situation was same and so I did not use for a couple of days. Today, when I opened my iPad, it showed battery as 60% and I started to charge. When I tried to pull the stats from iMazing it showed as Battery design max charge as 7596 mAh and health as good with 94%. Attached screen shot.

Is this a problem with the battery or a software issue. The battery was supposed to last 1000 cycles (for 80% retention) but it is just 191 cycles. How and why this is happening? Is this a bug? and how to get rid of this?

iPad Pro 11 battery cycle count showing zero

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.