Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Persistent horizontal lines appear on iMac screen

I am reaching out to share an ongoing issue I, along with several other users, have been experiencing with our iMac 24-inch models, and to seek a collective resolution.

Problem Description:

• Persistent horizontal lines appear on the screen, which significantly hampers the usability and visual appeal of the device.
  • This problem arises without any physical damage, and despite the stationary nature of the device.

Steps Taken:

• Connected to an external display: The external display works fine, indicating the issue is with the iMac's internal display.
  • Reinstalled the OS: The problem persisted post reinstallation.
  • Avoided operating the iMac for a week: No change in the situation.

Concerns:

• The cost of screen replacement is high, and there's no assurance that it will resolve the issue permanently.
  • The quality concern is alarming especially for a brand that positions itself as a premium segment player.
  • The support received thus far has been unsatisfactory, with no definitive solutions provided apart from a costly screen replacement suggestion.

Please do not ask us to visit to service center and replace the screen for 650USD + , problem happens mostly after warranty.

[Edited by Moderator]

iMac (M1, 2021)

Posted on Oct 21, 2023 10:40 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 21, 2023 1:53 PM

I am having the same problem. I've had this iMac less than two years. These lines appeared a couple weeks ago and have shifted a bit but haven't disappeared. From what I'm seeing online, we are not the only ones experiencing this. This is not right. Apple should be held accountable for this issue.

Similar questions

157 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 21, 2023 1:53 PM in response to latVm

I am having the same problem. I've had this iMac less than two years. These lines appeared a couple weeks ago and have shifted a bit but haven't disappeared. From what I'm seeing online, we are not the only ones experiencing this. This is not right. Apple should be held accountable for this issue.

Dec 20, 2023 1:54 AM in response to latVm

The exact same issue is happening to my iMac 2021. I purchased it new in December 2021 in Denpasar, Indonesia, and it has worked perfectly for 2 years. I have taken the utmost care of it - no damage at all.

Suddenly, the bottom half of the screen filled with horizontal black lines. This happened about a week ago, and they went away. It happened again once more, before disappearing. Now they are back and not disappearing after shutting down and turning on again.

I can't believe that it is a coincidence that it is happening to so many people almost exactly 2 years after purchase.

Apple, we need you to investigate this, and to deal with this fairly.

There are only going to be more and more people with this problem.

Dec 29, 2023 7:00 AM in response to latVm

I have this problem also, the lines flicker with mine. It occured while I kept my computer stationary without moving it at all. It's clearly a defect with the display because it happens without a cause. Apple should offer a free fix to people who have these lines regardless of warranty status. I can't pay the 700$ currently and it's ruining my computing experience.

Jan 20, 2024 12:24 AM in response to latVm

Exact same issue popped up on my 2021 M1 24" iMac this week. Purchased it back in April 2022, so a little under 2 years. I have it connected to a secondary monitor, which works fine. Only the main iMac display's showing this issue. Have also tried resetting the iMac which didn't work.

Have an appointment scheduled at the Genius Bar in Singapore tomorrow, which I plan to cancel. There's no point bringing my device there only to be told to pay upwards of $800 to get a screen replacement done when I can get a Mac mini for the same price. Everyone in my family is on the apple ecosystem, including MacBooks and Mac minis because because we trust in the quality of Apple products so this happening is just shocking.

Oct 22, 2023 4:47 AM in response to hcsitas

I've been to the Apple Store in Shanghai and the repair fee without Apple Care is about RMB 4,891 which is even more than the recycle fee lol. They said that the solution could only be screen replacement and they have no idea why the problem came out. Cuz there are so many user suffering the same problem I wonder if Apple should be responsible for this problem.

Dec 19, 2023 8:02 PM in response to SonnyB168

Probably their software updated caused this problem, no one reported similar kind of issue with imac24 inch for first 2 years. Now many from different parts of the world having this issue, it's exactly happenings in same spot for all the users. Apple should be made accountable. Clearly the problem is from their product side.

Apr 13, 2024 4:34 PM in response to latVm

TOO HOT TOO HANDLE

it’s not just happening to me too.

I bought mine in November 2021 and the same thing started happening April 2023.

I immediately made an appointment with the local local Apple service center here in the Philippines and left it with them for almost a week. They told me the same thing to have the display replaced at around US$800 with no guarantee that it would solve the problem. I did not have it replaced because of this.

I wasn’t aware that this thread regarding the display problem was already in the Apple community. Besides all of the symptoms that I’ve read in this thread, has anyone been in been experiencing heat coming from any part of the iMac body? Mine is at the upper right hand corner of my unit. In the beginning, I did start using an external display to be able to use the iMac, however, while I was cleaning the screen of my iMac, I noticed that that top right part was getting discolored and when I touched it, it was really too hot to touch, that it almost burned my finger.

So since this time in about May 2023, my iMac has been a fixture in the house and I haven’t been able to use it since then. Really hoping to see where how this will be handled, this is the first time any of my Apple devices stopped or couldn’t be used in just two years of use.🙏🏽

Apr 15, 2024 9:08 AM in response to latVm

Just stumbled upon this thread. It happened to me today.

I can’t believe the similarities too - approx 2 years of use, abrupt development of vertical lines, scorching heat on top corner of the screen.

I called Apple support and asked if this was a common occurrence, and was told that they have gotten calls about it.

I think it would raise awareness around the issue if we called to report en masse.

800 186 1087 (toll-free, if anyone needs it).

Jan 24, 2024 6:35 AM in response to latVm

I've got the same issue too, purchased my iMac in August 2021. The lines started appearing November last year, about 2 years after the purchase.

Brought my iMac to the apple store and yes they offered a screen replacement which cost about SGD$900+

decided to not go with it as the lines are only at the bottom of the screen, hoping it wouldn't spread even further.

As you can see from the pictures attached, the black horizontal lines started off very faint and fine, it got darker the very next day, then about a month later it spiked suddenly. The lines would often flicker on and off too.

I've read multiple forums and threads on why is this happening and it seems like the only solution is to get an external display (which I did and it was fine on the external display). It also seems that most people are experiencing it 2 years after getting their iMac, coincidence or no?

This situation has really made me loose trust in Apple's product.

Please investigate this.

Feb 9, 2024 10:20 AM in response to Newcompguy12

Revised version of post removed by the moderators.

Update: I decided not to replace the display for $648.00 as I felt the imac might have other problems if this happened after only 30 months. I got an estimate of $105.00 on the Apple trade in page I paid about $1500.00 for. The questionnaire specifically asks if the monitor is fully functional, to which I answered no. That knocked the trade in value way down, to that $105.00 number.

I sent in the imac using the kit they sent. About a week later got an email notification that they revised my trade in amount to $0.00. The reason given was that the display was not fully functional, which is why I was trading it in the first place.

I never mishandled the mac, it is surge protected, and I've never broken a computer I own. My last imac lasted 7 years and I only replaced it for compatibility issues with new software/apps and internet compatibility.

I'll reattach the image of the imac I traded in for zero dollars here. Not only were there lines as you see, but they flashed like a strobe. And yes, I took it in to the genius bar where they said it was the display and the only options were using an external monitor or getting a new display for it at $648.00.

I just want to restate I was not satisfied with this experience.

Dec 19, 2023 5:19 AM in response to latVm

I’ve been having the very same problem for a very well maintained 24” iMac M1 purchased in July 2021. This is very clearly a manufacturing defect. There’s no reason for a lot of people to have this issue pop out of nowhere exactly 2 years later. How do we go about claiming manufacturing defect? Any advice would be valuable. Ain’t no way am I going to pay 600+ dollars for a defect that took only 2 years to pop up.

Persistent horizontal lines appear on iMac screen

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.