Cannot open encrypted dmg folder; Message says "The disk you attached was not readable by this computer"

I created an encrypted disk image folder with very important and sensitive documents, photos, and videos that I could open just fine with my password just a few years ago. For over a year, whenever I click on this .dmg file and enter my password, I get a message that tells me "The disk you attached was not readable by this computer" and only gives me three options: eject, ignore, or initialize.

I've seen other posts with people describing similar issues and I've tried a number of things: including using Disk Utility's First Aid on the .dmg file, copying the dmg file to other drives and trying to open it that way, as well as several other steps, but nothing has produced the result of me being able to open this dmg. I'm sure I have the right password.

Here's some info on my device: MacBook Pro 13" 2017 w/ 4 Thunderbolt 3 ports, 3.1 GHz Dual-Core Intel Core 5 processor; Memory: 8 GB 2133 MHz; macOS Monterey 12.6.7). The .dmg file is on a Sandisk 1 TB SSD external drive, but it is also on other drives that also no longer open on my MacBook Pro. Thanks ahead of time for any help and tips.

MacBook Pro (2017 – 2020)

Posted on Oct 21, 2023 2:37 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 22, 2023 4:56 PM

VirtualBox would have been my initial choice also, but I can't provide anything resembling step-by-step instructions for installing an older macOS version. You might try posting a brand new question with that in mind.

For a similar question, try Run older macOS in virtualbox? - Apple Community

For the officially sanctioned but probably unhelpful answer, read Installing macOS on a Virtual Machine

In the old days before we became a worldwide community we had local "Macintosh user groups" that met in church basements and could share things like floppy disks and older Macs to solve problems like this. If you can find the equivalent where you live that would be ideal. Things become obsolete a lot faster these days.

Similar questions

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 22, 2023 4:56 PM in response to Manuel Alberto Huerta

VirtualBox would have been my initial choice also, but I can't provide anything resembling step-by-step instructions for installing an older macOS version. You might try posting a brand new question with that in mind.

For a similar question, try Run older macOS in virtualbox? - Apple Community

For the officially sanctioned but probably unhelpful answer, read Installing macOS on a Virtual Machine

In the old days before we became a worldwide community we had local "Macintosh user groups" that met in church basements and could share things like floppy disks and older Macs to solve problems like this. If you can find the equivalent where you live that would be ideal. Things become obsolete a lot faster these days.

Oct 22, 2023 4:20 PM in response to John Galt

Thank you, John. If I cannot find the older version of macOS or reinstall it on my computer, do you know if there is a virtual app that can act as an older macOS version so that I can extract the encrypted dmg files and copy them onto an external hard drive? I tried Virtual Box based on info I saw online, but it didn't work as I thought it would -- or I wasn't understanding how to use it correctly.

Cannot open encrypted dmg folder; Message says "The disk you attached was not readable by this computer"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.