Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

iPhone Messages App is freezing while typing a message

It is a time lag as the text shows up a few seconds (or many more) later. Similarly, if I delete text, the text gets deleted after a time lag. If I keep pressing keys out of frustration, it takes longer as now the poor app has more processing to do.

Rebooting my iPhone sometimes helps temporarily. A lack of storage is not causing the problem; I have over 50 GB available in iCloud storage and over 150 GB available on my iPhone.

iPhone 13 Pro Max

Posted on Oct 21, 2023 3:20 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 21, 2023 3:27 PM

Shortening the message history to 1 year from Forever in the Messages app settings fixed this problem.

I can only guess that whatever the "intelligent search" auto-scrolling does in the app, it takes longer for a larger message history. Apple, please let us, your paying customers, decide if we want your extremely annoying experimental auto-scrolling (I have no clue what it is for) or our message history.

I created this as a new question as I could not respond to a similar question.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 21, 2023 3:27 PM in response to Narad

Shortening the message history to 1 year from Forever in the Messages app settings fixed this problem.

I can only guess that whatever the "intelligent search" auto-scrolling does in the app, it takes longer for a larger message history. Apple, please let us, your paying customers, decide if we want your extremely annoying experimental auto-scrolling (I have no clue what it is for) or our message history.

I created this as a new question as I could not respond to a similar question.

iPhone Messages App is freezing while typing a message

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.