unsupported attachment

okay so i had a note on my ipad and when i shared (collaborated) it to my other ipad and tried to edit it, it said “unsupported attachment, editing this attachment is not supported on this device. to edit it, please upgrade to the latest version of ipados.” but when i tried to update, it already said that it was up to date. (the ipad is too old) how can i edit it without updating?

ps: the original note was in an ios17 ipad, while the one i wanted to edit it from was only ios16

iPad Pro

Posted on Oct 22, 2023 4:07 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 22, 2023 4:13 AM

Not all features will be available to all models of iPad - in particular where devices are using different versions of iOS/iPadOS.

Where features are not backwards-compatible with earlier versions of iOS/iPadOS, you must either update the older version to the same version - or if the device is not capable of update, replace the device with a newer or current model.

Whether or not you are able to update any iPad to a newer version of iOS/iPadOS will be dictated by the iPad model - and the currently installed version of iOS. You can find this information here:

Settings > General > About

Not sure which iPad you have? Identify your iPad model.

Here is a list of the highest version of iOS supported by the older models of iPad (for simplicity - “generations” are shortened to a number) that are restricted in their ability to be updated:

32-bit devices (obsolete)

iPad1 - iOS 5.1.1

iPad2, iPad3 and iPad mini1 - iOS 9.3.5 (WiFi Only models), iOS 9.3.6 (WiFi & Cellular)

iPad4 - iOS 10.3.3 (WiFi Only), iOS 10.3.4 (WiFi & Cellular)

64-bit devices

iPad Air1, iPad mini2 and iPad mini3 - iOS 12.5.7

iPad Air2, iPad mini4 - iPadOS 15.7.9

iPad5, iPad Pro (9.7"/12.9" first generation) - iPadOS 16.7.1

Newer models are all able to be updated to the current version - iPadOS 17.0.3

• iPad Pro 12.9" (2nd generation and later)
  • iPad Pro 11" (1st generation and later)
  • iPad Pro 10.5"
  • iPad Air (3rd generation and later)
  • iPad (6th generation and later)
  • iPad mini (5th generation and later)

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 22, 2023 4:13 AM in response to aryasenic

Not all features will be available to all models of iPad - in particular where devices are using different versions of iOS/iPadOS.

Where features are not backwards-compatible with earlier versions of iOS/iPadOS, you must either update the older version to the same version - or if the device is not capable of update, replace the device with a newer or current model.

Whether or not you are able to update any iPad to a newer version of iOS/iPadOS will be dictated by the iPad model - and the currently installed version of iOS. You can find this information here:

Settings > General > About

Not sure which iPad you have? Identify your iPad model.

Here is a list of the highest version of iOS supported by the older models of iPad (for simplicity - “generations” are shortened to a number) that are restricted in their ability to be updated:

32-bit devices (obsolete)

iPad1 - iOS 5.1.1

iPad2, iPad3 and iPad mini1 - iOS 9.3.5 (WiFi Only models), iOS 9.3.6 (WiFi & Cellular)

iPad4 - iOS 10.3.3 (WiFi Only), iOS 10.3.4 (WiFi & Cellular)

64-bit devices

iPad Air1, iPad mini2 and iPad mini3 - iOS 12.5.7

iPad Air2, iPad mini4 - iPadOS 15.7.9

iPad5, iPad Pro (9.7"/12.9" first generation) - iPadOS 16.7.1

Newer models are all able to be updated to the current version - iPadOS 17.0.3

• iPad Pro 12.9" (2nd generation and later)
  • iPad Pro 11" (1st generation and later)
  • iPad Pro 10.5"
  • iPad Air (3rd generation and later)
  • iPad (6th generation and later)
  • iPad mini (5th generation and later)

unsupported attachment

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.