Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Photos location information not transferring from iPhoto to Mac Photos

I noticed that the location information for my recent photos that were taken with my iPhone 11 Pro is not being transferred to my Photos app on my MacBook Pro. When I open up the information panel for each photo instead of showing the location it shows a pin with the correct location but above it says that it is looking up location information. Since that is greyed out you can't even go in and manually add the location data. I am running Ventura 13.0. I did not do any system updates, besides security ones, recently so I don't know what would have caused this. My husband has the same iPhone and computer running Ventura 13.0 and he is not having this problem. All of his photos are showing correct location information. I attempted to fix this problem after reading a previous person's suggestion of using the Photos Repair Library function. That was a mistake because now all of my thousands of photos, that previously had location information, are now missing that information. I have a backup that I can restore my photo library, and entire computer, to what it way last night before I used the repair function but if there is an easier fix I would love to know before restoring my computer. I would prefer to have this problem going forward instead of it ruining all of my information from the past.

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 10.13

Posted on Oct 22, 2023 8:36 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 22, 2023 11:52 AM

Give this a try: boot into Safe Mode on your Mac according to How to use safe mode on your Mac and test to see if the problem persists. Reboot normally and test again.

NOTE 1: Safe Mode boot can take up to 3 - 5 minutes as it's doing the following; 

• Verifies your startup disk and attempts to repair directory issues, if needed

• Loads only required kernel extensions (prevents 3rd party kernel/extensions from loading)

• Prevents Startup Items and Login Items from opening automatically

• Disables user-installed fonts 

• Deletes font caches, kernel cache, and other system cache files

NOTE 2: if you have a wireless keyboard with rechargeable batteries connect it with its charging cable before booting into Safe Mode. This makes it act as a wired keyboard as will insure a successful boot into Safe Mode.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 22, 2023 11:52 AM in response to Paradox_E_Q

Give this a try: boot into Safe Mode on your Mac according to How to use safe mode on your Mac and test to see if the problem persists. Reboot normally and test again.

NOTE 1: Safe Mode boot can take up to 3 - 5 minutes as it's doing the following; 

• Verifies your startup disk and attempts to repair directory issues, if needed

• Loads only required kernel extensions (prevents 3rd party kernel/extensions from loading)

• Prevents Startup Items and Login Items from opening automatically

• Disables user-installed fonts 

• Deletes font caches, kernel cache, and other system cache files

NOTE 2: if you have a wireless keyboard with rechargeable batteries connect it with its charging cable before booting into Safe Mode. This makes it act as a wired keyboard as will insure a successful boot into Safe Mode.

Photos location information not transferring from iPhoto to Mac Photos

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.