Camera focus issue on my iPhone 15

I have a newly purchased iPhone 15, not pro, only 15, I have a camera focus problem, the problem is, I learned that when I bring my hand closer to the camera, it does not focus, but when I move my hand a little further away, it focuses, but when I get closer, it does not focus, I do not understand, I am using iOS 17.0.3, is it due to a version bug or not? I don't understand if this is happening, my old iPhone 10 was only 10, it didn't have a camera focus problem, it was working fine. Those of you who have an iPhone 15, do you have an iPhone 15 or 15 Pro, I don't know, ultra or new phones, do you also have the same camera focus problem? If yes, I don't know anymore.

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

iPhone 5, iOS 10

Posted on Oct 23, 2023 4:13 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 22, 2023 2:42 PM

My wife's iPhone 15 Pro Max does not focus for photos using the .5x and 1x lens, the 5x lens works correctly. Video doesn't focus for any lens. She has been working with Apple Support to fix the focus problem, with no success. Apple engineering claims it's a software problem and they’re working on it.

This appears to me a hardware problem. I am an electrical engineer with much computer experience. Apple diagnostics doesn't detect the failure. You can see the problem with your eyes, the diagnostic is deficient.  

I have the same iPhone, and mine focuses correctly on each lens. Identical camera's using the same software, where only one fails, is a definite indicator of a hardware failure. 

We have asked Apple to replace her iPhone. By declaring this a software problem, Apple prevents the support team from a costly replacement of failing iPhones. There are a lot of iPhones that have the focus problem.  

Apple is trying to find a software workaround for this hardware problem, but have not succeeded so far.  It's now Christmas season and many Apple customers with the flagship iPhone have a useless camera.

Has anyone found a workaround so my wife can take Christmas photos? Does this problem also occur on other iPhone 15 models?

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 22, 2023 2:42 PM in response to NuhMelik

My wife's iPhone 15 Pro Max does not focus for photos using the .5x and 1x lens, the 5x lens works correctly. Video doesn't focus for any lens. She has been working with Apple Support to fix the focus problem, with no success. Apple engineering claims it's a software problem and they’re working on it.

This appears to me a hardware problem. I am an electrical engineer with much computer experience. Apple diagnostics doesn't detect the failure. You can see the problem with your eyes, the diagnostic is deficient.  

I have the same iPhone, and mine focuses correctly on each lens. Identical camera's using the same software, where only one fails, is a definite indicator of a hardware failure. 

We have asked Apple to replace her iPhone. By declaring this a software problem, Apple prevents the support team from a costly replacement of failing iPhones. There are a lot of iPhones that have the focus problem.  

Apple is trying to find a software workaround for this hardware problem, but have not succeeded so far.  It's now Christmas season and many Apple customers with the flagship iPhone have a useless camera.

Has anyone found a workaround so my wife can take Christmas photos? Does this problem also occur on other iPhone 15 models?

Apr 10, 2024 7:45 AM in response to NuhMelik

I have the same problem! My older iPhones never had this issue and the newest "best camera yet" phone should not be having trouble focusing. I cannot even take pictures of checks to send to my bank, scan QR codes up close, or scan most documents/barcodes because the phone simply cannot focus on anything up close it's crazy. I have an appointment for it in the apple store tomorrow, I've finally given in after having the phone since it came out last year. Hoping they can fix it.

May 11, 2024 5:33 AM in response to hc1111

The issue is that as soon as you tap the focus area, the focus goes blurry and switches lenses, moving the desired focus area (and item you’re trying to focus on) to another part of the frame. So you tap the focus area there, and it goes blurry and moves again. I think it’s safe to say most of the people reporting this problem are already familiar with how to focus — it’s the fact that it does not work that’s the issue.

Jan 15, 2024 5:07 PM in response to NuhMelik

Yes, exactly the same thing it is very much so very quite frustrating. I also have this issue on galaxy 23 ultra which you would think would be a better camera and cameras zoom then the older version than older Samsung but they were not so it’s just reminding me why I don’t particularly care to get the newest phone that has just came out because just cause they’re new doesn’t make them better clearly

Apr 15, 2024 7:37 AM in response to NuhMelik

I am facing the same problem with my iPhone 15. The main camera suddenly stopped focusing, while the ultra-wide camera is working fine. I have tried all possible methods to fix it, but it didn’t work. My main camera’s focus is stuck. I am planning to visit an Apple service center, but I am curious if it is a hardware problem or a software bug.

Oct 24, 2023 8:34 AM in response to NuhMelik

Hey there NuhMelik,

It sounds like there's an issue when focusing on objects up close. If that's the case, we recommend looking over the details below to help get the focus working:

Before you take a photo, the iPhone camera automatically sets the focus and exposure, and face detection balances the exposure across many faces. If you want to manually adjust the focus and exposure, do the following:

1. Open Camera.
2. Tap the screen to show the automatic focus area and exposure setting.
3. Tap where you want to move the focus area.
4. Next to the focus area, drag the Adjust Exposure button up or down to adjust the exposure.

Tip: To lock your manual focus and exposure settings for upcoming shots, touch and hold the focus area until you see AE/AF Lock; tap the screen to unlock settings.

On iPhone 11 and later, you can precisely set and lock the exposure for upcoming shots. Tap the Camera Controls button, tap the Exposure button, then move the slider to adjust the exposure. The exposure locks until the next time you open Camera. To save the exposure control so it’s not reset when you open Camera, go to Settings  > Camera > Preserve Settings, then turn on Exposure Adjustment.

Use iPhone camera tools to set up your shot - Apple Support

If you need additional help, reach out to Apple directly for next steps: Get Support

Take care!

Mar 29, 2024 10:29 AM in response to NashUser

If you need to take photos of items at close range, you would have been better off buying a Pro Model, which has the ability to focus at closer range (Macro), which the 15 does not have the ability to do.

On a 15 (not Pro model), take the photo further from the receipt or any object you want closer, then after the photo is taken in focus (you need to be about 12 inches from whatever your photographing), use the crop feature in Edit to bring the subject closer after the photo has been taken.

Camera focus issue on my iPhone 15

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.