You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

How to Disable Password ask when downloading an app.

My iPhone 14. Is asking me for password when I'm downloading. Apps. I didn't have to do that before. Can I turn it off? Thanks

Posted on Oct 23, 2023 1:00 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Apr 13, 2024 6:29 AM

my iphone 6s plus is asking me apple ID when downloading apps how can i stop it

18 replies

Oct 24, 2023 12:23 PM in response to Elalarge

Greetings Elalarge,

Welcome to Apple Support Communities.

We have provided the steps below to assist you with your password settings for downloading apps:

"You can choose how often you want to enter your password when you buy items (including in-app purchases) from the App Store and iTunes Store:

• Always Require — Every time you make a purchase, you'll be asked to enter your password, even if you're signed in with your Apple ID.
  • Require After 15 Minutes — If you entered your password within the last 15 minutes, you won't be asked to enter your password again.

If you don't want to enter a password when you download free items, follow the steps below and turn off password protection for free items.

Require a password on your iPhone or iPad

1. Open the Settings app.
  2. Tap your name.
  3. Tap Media & Purchases.
  4. Tap Password Settings, then choose the setting that you want.

If you don't see Password Settings, you have turned on Face ID or Touch ID for App Store and iTunes Purchases. To change this, go back to Settings, tap "Face ID & Passcode" or "Touch ID & Passcode", then turn off Face ID or Touch ID next to iTunes & App Store."

More details here: Require a password for App Store and iTunes purchases

Thanks for posting in Apple Support Communities.

Have a wonderful day!

Jun 5, 2024 10:49 PM in response to Elalarge

To disable the requirement to enter a password every time you download an app, you need to adjust your device's settings based on the platform you are using. For iOS devices, go to "Settings," tap on your Apple ID, and select "Media & Purchases." Then, choose "Password Settings" and under the "Free Downloads" section, toggle off the "Require Password" option. For Android devices using the Google Play Store, open the Play Store app, tap on the profile icon, go to "Settings," then "Authentication," and select "Require authentication for purchases." Choose "Never" or adjust the settings to your preference. By making these changes, you can streamline the app download process without the need to repeatedly enter your password.

Sep 18, 2024 4:50 PM in response to Grace2211

I have done all that and it's still asking me for a password when I download an app in the iTunes App Store. I tried turning off the Face ID so I could see the settings and I have it set to allow free downloads. What happened to clicking the side button to allow install? I have noticed this after the latest 18 update?

How to Disable Password ask when downloading an app.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.