Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

apple music cutting off song and/or skipping ahead

Over the last few weeks or so I've run into an issue with the way Apple Music behaves on my iPad and iPhone. I have not played it on my MacBook Pro enough to notice, and it definitely happens more on the iPad vs iPhone. I'm using airplay to two HomePods as a stereo pair in my office. If a song is playing, about 20% of the time, Apple Music is abruptly ending the song before it is actually over. It will cut off the last 10-20 seconds. About 20-30%, it's starting the next song at 15-30 seconds in, playing for about 5-10 seconds, before restarting itself back at the beginning. I have restarted all devices with no luck. I'm not sure if it could somehow be related to new iPhone 15 pro max that I switched to recently? My iPad also recently completely froze up- requiring me to reset it as if it were a brand new device (from an iCloud back up via usb-c to my computer). I've tried Sound Check on and off with no change. I have crossfade off because it says right in the setting it does not work with airplay. I tried to turn off sync library on the iPad, but it switches itself back on. I tried it on the mac and iphone- it made no difference. So, it happens mostly on the iPad, and a bit on the iPhone, and haven't noticed it yet on the mac. I thought it might be a bug with the new crossfade option (even though I have this off)? Welcome any thoughts or ideas. Thanks.

iPad Pro (4th generation)

Posted on Oct 23, 2023 9:29 PM

Similar questions

8 replies

Oct 25, 2023 6:21 AM in response to Meeces

Just wanted to share I started to experience this issue when streaming Apple Music after my Homepod Mini's upgraded to v17. I have reported this in another thread. I have not experienced this issue when streaming via my iphone, so for me this issue is associated with my Homepod devices. Glad to hear it occurs with other environments. Hopefully this will be resolved with either an Apple Music streaming fix or ...

Nov 20, 2023 1:08 AM in response to Meeces

I had similar hopes... however my experience is the same. 17.1.1 seems to experience the issues a bit less but issues still remain, so I am less annoyed... :). I could find nor reference in 17.1.1 that anything was addressed on these issues.

Still only occurs for me when using Apple Music on Homepod Mini's. Does not occur when using Iphone Se (2020) 17.1.1 and Car Play. Remaining hopeful for complete elimination of the issue with further updates.

Nov 19, 2023 4:17 PM in response to jareinertson

I had hoped the update to 17.1.1 for HomePods might help, but not quite. It seems to do it a little less, but it's still there. Can cut off the end of a song, while sometimes starting the next song 15-20 seconds in, before stopping and restarting that song it just skipped ahead a bit with. Still experiencing the issue on iPad and iPhone.

apple music cutting off song and/or skipping ahead

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.