Developer Forums relocated!

Need help with Apple Developer tools and technologies? Want to share information with other developers and Apple engineers? Visit Developer Forums at Apple.

Storage

Hello! This is what appears in my Disk Utility. Is this normal? Can anyone please explain every bit of what they are and if it is possible to organize it better? Thank you so much! I would also like to know about Container disks 1-3 and why do 1-2 do not appear anywhere (or is it just me)

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 14.0

Posted on Oct 23, 2023 11:43 PM

1 reply

Oct 24, 2023 11:01 AM in response to doughminic

That’s the usually-going-to-be-storage-constrained 256 GB Physical Solid State Disk using GUID partitioning (GPT), containing an APFS container (“disk3”), and that APFS container with macOS itself including partitions within that for the read-only secure file system (“Macintosh HD”) and for user data (variously “Macintosh HD - Data” or “Data”).

Pretty typical, in fewer words.

For what technical details of APFS are available from Apple: Introduction

About apps and file systems more generally: About Files and Directories

An issue for many folks with a Mac with 256 GB is available storage, and there’s not much that can be done about that within Disk Utility, absent some user-added partition. None of those are present or visible here.

If you want to see the list of disks (past the disk1 blue and disk2 orange containers shown just below that big red bar, and that big red bar is effectively disk3), launch Terminal app and use the following command-line commands, as a starting point:

diskutil list
diskutil info {whatever}

These two particular diskutil command-line commands are harmless, though other diskutil commands..l aren’r so harmless.

Storage

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.