File with the name file-jpeg and an icon like the console icon (exec)

Hello, my macbook pro 15" 2018 is overheating and crashes multiple times a day an I am searching for solutions. Here you are something that I see happening from some month. In the application bar I usually find an icon that seems to be the terminal/console icon with a green writing "exec" on the top left side of the icon (that is black)

The filename is file-jpeg and only today I understhood that it is not a jpeg file but an executable file.

I opened it with a text editor and I absolutly can't understand what it is. But due the fact that usually when I restart the Mac after it freezes or when it restarts from itself... due the fact that, after the login, I see a writing on thetop lef corner, near the apple logo, with the writing "Avanzamento Installazione" (installation progress), right now I thought that that file could be responsible of something that tries to be installed in the mac. Is there some way to receive help about that? Any idea?

MacBook Pro (2017 – 2020)

Posted on Oct 24, 2023 7:07 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 24, 2023 11:18 AM

Rename file-jpeg to file.jpg or file.jpeg and the icon may change. If file-jpeg has no extension, then the operating system cannot determine what application to use to paint its icon and open it. Thus, it will assign the ExecutableBinaryIcon to that alien file.

Similar questions

2 replies

Oct 24, 2023 9:28 AM in response to MMorello

MMorello wrote:

Hello, my macbook pro 15" 2018 is overheating and crashes multiple times a day an I am searching for solutions. Here you are something that I see happening from some month.

In the application bar I usually find an icon that seems to be the terminal/console icon with a green writing "exec" on the top left side of the icon (that is black)

Not sure what is the "application bar"

It would seem a third party app is trying to add an executable.

To trouble shoot further you can:

—A SafeBoot Use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support will sort many anomalies

Does a quick disk repair before it fully boots up, and certain system caches get cleared and rebuilt, third party system modifications and system accelerations are disabled.

Login and test. Reboot as normal and test. Caches get rebuilt automatically.

This test will tell you if third party interference; most* extensions etc are not loaded in safe boot mode.

—Test issue in another user (or guest user) account Change Users & Groups settings on Mac - Apple Support

This will tell you if it a universal issue or isolated to your user/admin account. 

unplug all third party peripherals when testing

Uninstall all third party apps that are Cleaners/Optimizers/VPN/Anti-Virus

all known to cause issues on the macOS

File with the name file-jpeg and an icon like the console icon (exec)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.