Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

DVD player to IMac

I have an IMac 2012 Running Catalina 10.15.7 and I cannot get it to recognize my LG DVD drive GE24NU40. What am I doing wrong?

iMac 21.5″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Oct 24, 2023 11:01 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 24, 2023 1:05 PM

Make sure you have this checkbox checked in the Finder's settings:

But as D.I. Johnson pointed out it only shows up when a disc is in the optical drive.

If you've got everything setup correctly and still don't see a disc gve this a try: boot into Safe Mode according to How to use safe mode on your Mac and test to see if the problem persists. Reboot normally and test again.

NOTE 1: Safe Mode boot can take up to 3 - 5 minutes as it's doing the following; 

• Verifies your startup disk and attempts to repair directory issues, if needed

• Loads only required kernel extensions (prevents 3rd party kernel/extensions from loading)

• Prevents Startup Items and Login Items from opening automatically

• Disables user-installed fonts 

• Deletes font caches, kernel cache, and other system cache files

NOTE 2: if you have a wireless keyboard with rechargeable batteries connect it with its charging cable before booting into Safe Mode. This makes it act as a wired keyboard as will insure a successful boot into Safe Mode.

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 24, 2023 1:05 PM in response to Wdman51

Make sure you have this checkbox checked in the Finder's settings:

But as D.I. Johnson pointed out it only shows up when a disc is in the optical drive.

If you've got everything setup correctly and still don't see a disc gve this a try: boot into Safe Mode according to How to use safe mode on your Mac and test to see if the problem persists. Reboot normally and test again.

NOTE 1: Safe Mode boot can take up to 3 - 5 minutes as it's doing the following; 

• Verifies your startup disk and attempts to repair directory issues, if needed

• Loads only required kernel extensions (prevents 3rd party kernel/extensions from loading)

• Prevents Startup Items and Login Items from opening automatically

• Disables user-installed fonts 

• Deletes font caches, kernel cache, and other system cache files

NOTE 2: if you have a wireless keyboard with rechargeable batteries connect it with its charging cable before booting into Safe Mode. This makes it act as a wired keyboard as will insure a successful boot into Safe Mode.

Oct 24, 2023 11:28 AM in response to Wdman51

The macOS will not display the empty DVD drive on the desktop as it would an external hdd or ssd. There must be a disc in the drive for the Mac to display the volume on the desktop.

The DVD device should also be connected directly to the Mac rather than through a hub or dock.

If you go to Apple menu () > About This Mac > System Report... does the Mac see the drive if you select the USB or Disc Burning category on the sidebar there?

Oct 24, 2023 5:29 PM in response to Wdman51

This is a very old DVD drive... 8-10 years (?).

It's possible that the drivers or firmware for this device were never updated to the 64-bit requirement of macOS 10.15 Catalina? Maybe it doesn't require anything the macOS doesn't provide, though.

Has this drive ever worked on that or any Mac running Catalina?

Did you happen to recently upgrade to Catalina.. or did you bring the drive from another Mac that used an earlier version of macOS?

DVD player to IMac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.